Registrations and styles

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am (very obviously) a newbie beyond just playing the keyboard like a piano.

I have looked through posts and watched videos about how to save registrations, but I'm missing the why a registration vs a style and when.

Does anyone know of any post or video I may have missed that compares/contrasts these? I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you!

-- Luis

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Selecting a given style will normally affect only the auto accompaniment that you control using the keys to the left of the Split Point. This lets you change the rhythm and "musical backing" that's playing without changing the voices you're playing to the right of the Split Point.

In contrast, a registration will save the way that the keyboard as a whole is set up-- the main voice that plays to the right of the Split Point, the dual voice that's layered with the main voice and whether or not the dual voice is active, the split voice that plays to the left of the Split Point and whether or not the split voice is active, as well as most of the other keyboard settings-- including the style that's currently selected (unless you specifically keep the style settings from being saved).

Reaction score
Selecting a given style will normally affect only the auto accompaniment that you control using the keys to the left of the Split Point. This lets you change the rhythm and "musical backing" that's playing without changing the voices you're playing to the right of the Split Point.

In contrast, a registration will save the way that the keyboard as a whole is set up-- the main voice that plays to the right of the Split Point, the dual voice that's layered with the main voice and whether or not the dual voice is active, the split voice that plays to the left of the Split Point and whether or not the split voice is active, as well as most of the other keyboard settings-- including the style that's currently selected (unless you specifically keep the style settings from being saved).
Thank you.

So we could say the style is a specific setting and the registration is a "container of settings" of sorts. Both can be saved for retrieval.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The issue can be more complicated, depending on which model of Yamaha you have.

For instance, PSR-S models and above let you save four OTS or "One Touch Setting" setups for each style, which lets you change voices while using that style, somewhat like recalling a registration. And they also let you create "Music Finder" entries which are somewhat like registrations.

The PSR-E models don't really have those two features. They do have an OTS feature, but you're limited to OTS setups which are predetermined for the built-in styles and songs, with only one OTS per style or song, and you can't define and save your own OTS setups. Likewise, the "Music Database" feature is also limited to a built-in selection of entries, and doesn't allow you to create entries of your own.

I was hesitant to mention any of that in my previous answer because I didn't want to overwhelm you. And if you have a PSR-E or YPT model then you don't really need to worry about those two features, anyway. But if you have a PSR-S model or above then you might want to look into those features as well.

Reaction score

For instance, PSR-S models and above let you save four OTS or "One Touch Setting" setups for each style, which lets you change voices while using that style, somewhat like recalling a registration. And they also let you create "Music Finder" entries which are somewhat like registrations.

The PSR-E models don't really have those two features. They do have an OTS feature, but you're limited to OTS setups which are predetermined for the built-in styles and songs, with only one OTS per style or song, and you can't define and save your own OTS setups. Likewise, the "Music Database" feature is also limited to a built-in selection of entries, and doesn't allow you to create entries of your own.

I was hesitant to mention any of that in my previous answer because I didn't want to overwhelm you. And if you have a PSR-E or YPT model then you don't really need to worry about those two features, anyway. But if you have a PSR-S model or above then you might want to look into those features as well.
Thanks for all the guidance.

Yes, I see posts and videos of higher-end keyboard capabilities, so eventually I do want to move on to a better unit.

For now, I'm working my way through the concepts beyond just a piano. I do appreciate your guidance.

-- Luis

Reaction score
Thank you.

So we could say the style is a specific setting and the registration is a "container of settings" of sorts. Both can be saved for retrieval.
Yes. The registration saves everything you change to that especific sound. The bpm, the split of the keys, the volume definition on left and right, if you have some arpeggio active, or any effect. The sounds you choosed for that especific layers. All that stuff, for a single key, for instantaneous changes of song. And you can keep it saved on the computer, and share with other musiciens who have the same model of keyboard.

Reaction score

hi SeaGtGruff ; you still go to PSR tutorial forum? last time i went there they banned me for posting my own sheet music as i use to,something is not right with that forum, did they changed adminestration/ it's not what use to be.I use to post Utube Videos of my playing ; https://www.youtube.com/user/MrSilv55/videos

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I still check in there on occasion, but not as regularly as I used to. They may have changed policies related to posting materials, either for legal reasons or to reduce server overload.

Ask a Question