Remixes and Copyright?

Reaction score
Been looking through YouTube and seeing loads of remixes of popular songs and quite fancy the idea of attempting my own (with my key playing backed up by a self-composed fruitloops/garageband music file and vocals from the original track based on the original track). Would this be considered fair use and okay to post on YouTube or is it a copyright infringement? I wouldn't be monetising them, just wanting to share them on the forum or with friends?

Reaction score
The answer is simplicity in itself, posting any music online unless it is totally your own composition is a breach of copyright.

Unless you have paid the copyright owner and they have given written permission.

Do check what the specifics are in the Country where you live.

I live in the UK and I am aware that Youtube has taken down videos where the audio is an obvious commercial recording or one where there is doubt. They have even taken down videos where the music is royalty paid and the details are listed in the credits. It is Hobsons Choice what would happen.

Ask a Question