Removing Ribbon cable on a Roland ep 9 piano

Reaction score
I'm trying to repair my EP 9 Roland piano that has the pershing glue problem. I'm trying to remove a ribbon cable in order to remove the keyboard to attempt to repair the keyboard. See attached picture. Is this just a pull up connection or is there a secret to removing the cable. I don't want to damage the cable because repair parts are hard to find.

Thanks
Bruce S

Attachments

• Roland Ribbon EP 9.JPG
    Roland Ribbon EP 9.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 297

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The connectors seem to be simple press fit with no locking mechanism.

That said, however, you should be extremely careful working them loose and removing them.

Use a very sharp blade to go in from one end and the other and slowly work them loose upward with a VERY gentle rocking motion so as not to deform any of the pins. Once you have enough of a gap use a couple of flat bladed screwdrivers to work them up as needed simultaneously from both ends at once. DO NOT yank on the cable to pull them loose.

Likewise, be EXTREMELY careful reseating them to make sure the pins are properly aligned and not bent by reseating them.

Use a bit of contact cleaner on the pins before you reattach them to clean and lubricate the contacts.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I just found out the solution on youtube. The connection (brown part) does not come off. You grasp the cable itself and gently pull up on the cable and it will come out.
Thanks to all that responded or looked at my post.
Bruce

Reaction score
Thank you BruceS for the post! This helped me when I was removing and attaching the ribbon cables of my Roland JV-35 which have the same connectors.

Ask a Question