Replacement for Dead Kurzweil Mark 10

Reaction score
Hello all! I've lurked on this site for a long time but have never signed up and posted. I've owned a Kurzweil Mark 10 since the early 90's and it finally died. More and more buttons stopped working over the years, more keys became squeaky, and last night it passed away peacefully in its sleep, never to turn on again.

I've loved this keyboard with all my heart since I was a kid. I loved the solid build, the heavy sturdy built-in legs, the powerful built in amp and speakers that could shake the house, and the ability to record layer upon layer in the different song/track banks, with auto accompaniment and awesome voices.

I'm looking for a used or new if I have to keyboard that has these same features. I finding either the solid body with great sound and amp built in OR i find all the voices/accompaniments and recording ability but I'm having a hard time finding the whole package.

What would you suggest?? Thank you so much in advance for any advice!

-David

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
David, your sad loss brings a tear to my eye. RIP kurzwell mk 10.

Now you need to get a grip! You are torn between sentimental and pratical. You have to decide whether to go sentimental and take the advice from delaware dave as above or go pratical and buy a newer model.

Make a decision and stick with it and either way you wil continue with the joy of making music.

Reaction score
I've tried to find a used one, but they are all so old there is always something wrong with them. I'm hoping you all can help me find a modern equivalent?

Reaction score
Hey Gary, sorry for the late reply, the notification was caught as spam I guess.

I had a look at the M3W and right off the bat was worried at the lack of buttons lol, the Mark 10 was covered with them. When I dug deeper it looks like the recorder that I use constantly is limited to only 2 tracks per song. I was hoping that, 20 years later, I would be able to get more than the 8 tracks the mark 10 provided. I used them all and was always getting out of memory errors because my songs had so many layers.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To be honest David, hardly anyone uses a keyboard's built in sequencer nowadays when computers and laptops and tablets are so cheap and convenient.

Instead of pushing buttons to navigate a 2" screen a computer allows you to edit with a mouse or a 10" to 24" touchscreen to highlight and edit your tracks with ease.

I realize old habits die hard but it's time to come into the 21st century man :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The keyboard is in the family room which isn't the greatest place to put a computer. :(

So you use the keyboard as a midi controler to write tracks to a computer, then you can play all tracks back through the keyboard using its enhanced voices it offers vs the crappy sounding ones on the computer? Or are the voices on computer programs much better now? So perhaps you only use the keyboard to put the notes on the score, but select the voices per track and play it back on the computer attached to a stereo??

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Personally I usually sequence on the computer then play back and record from my keyboards and modules but occasionally I will use Virtual Instruments or VSTis as well.

Most computers nowadays have 5.1 home theater quality soundcards built in so your only limitation is what sort of speakers you are driving with them.

Again I do all my sequencing and recording on the computer and there is very little noticeable noise or distortion.

I output my rack at home thru a pair of M-Audio studio monitors and a Mackie 10" subwoofer.

Believe me, I can rattle a few windows when I want to :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, as a simple suggestion, you could discreetly rest a 12" laptop computer directly on top of the M3W, hook up a MIDI or USB cable (probably USB on a modern keyboard) and you're off to the races.

Record all of your MIDI data directly into a laptop running a DAW program, then play it back again and accompany yourself and record another track on the M3W as it plays back.

You'd have the advantage of a full 16 track sequencer with even a freeware DAW program.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Gary, I appreciate it. It at least takes the pressure off of trying to find a keyboard that does it all.

Reaction score
I was heartbroken when my Mark 10 died. It didn't just die, it actually caught on fire after 25 glorious years of playing! I have wasted so much time and money trying to find a replacement. I tried saving money with a Yamaha, but Kurzweil spoiled me. Nothing matches their sound quality.

Then I bought an SP7 Grand. It has way more bells and whistles that I want or need. Where oh where is something similar to the Mark 10?

I was looking at the KA series because that seemed like the closest thing to a Mark 10.

All I want to do it pick some sounds, layer (love piano and strings together), record my songs (no computer) and have a rhythm section. Help!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Jeepers Paw!!! These kids these days have goshdarn done run amok, what with all their new-fangled geegaws and dohickeys :D

Either embrace the new world or perish old man :D :D :D

Seriously, intense study of modern gear and its capabilities is well worth the effort.

Besides, it helps keep our noodles sharp as we age gracelessly into our dotage. :D :D :D

Beelzebub ;)

(aka Gary ;) )

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Translation : RTFM... Don't tell me that after 25 years you've totally forgotten how to read a manual?

Plus, there's a lot to be said for using youtube to fill in the cracks.

Hundreds of thousands, if not millions of searchable demos, tutorials and reviews of any gear you may Ever encounter in your life.

Go boldly forth into the darkness, bringing with you light, merriment and music.

OF course all this was in hopes there actually was a question asked.

If not, then all for naught. :D

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
You are a harsh insensitive critic, rat1. ;)

Comparison: When you have to say goodbye to your 15 year old family pet it is sad times and a new replacement may not be as faithful and reliable. Making a choice for a suitable replacement is most difficult.

Furthermore, (back on keyboards) modern technology for us seniors is a daunting learning curve.

R

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
As of the current moment I am about to begin breathing new life into my beloved 12 year old PC3K8,

The aftertouch, mod wheel and ribbon controller have all suddenly ceased to function.

My poor old Kurzweil now rests, bedridden, awaiting the cold mechanical touch of my screwdriver in hopes of locating the oxidation rot which has inflicted my beloved board.

Hopefully I can revive it by cleaning and reseating the phosphor bronze connectors but nothing is sure in life but death and taxes.

Wish me luck,

Jumping without a net :oops:

Geronimo!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if the surgery is a failure, I think my next choice is a Studiologic Numa X 88 Piano.

It has all the bread and butter sounds as well as the aftertouch I crave.

Kurzweil has dropped all support for their boards in Canada since almost 3 years now.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question