Replacing multiple keys for stage & recording

Reaction score
Hi everyone! WELSHPHIL here ! Need some urgent help please !! Need to replace multiple older keyboards due to new approach to 3 new bands I have joined recently. All need different sounds (eg. Kurzweil Xp2C Stage Piano voice GRAND PIANO with Roland VK7 Organ for Blues/Shuffle Band work) but another band needs cut-through Fender Rhodes type electric piano sounds with funkier Roland VK7 organ voices as another example.

Most importantly, I need to lug/transport MUCH less kit around (due to a) damaged back ! and b) recording with new band members in a "loft" studio with VERY little space to move keys up/down very steep access stairs to studio.

I need to ask which specific 2 x keyboards you guys would keep as the main "Master" keyboards for all the sounds I need or is there a better solution or solutions?

For example, I have an 88-note weighted MIDI keyboard (FATAR Studiologic Studio 900) which I have used with my Roland JV1010 and also with JV-1080. All worked fine in a studio setting (and live actually). However I am a bit of a dummy when it comes to setting things up to use more than one voice at a time !! Sorry!! Also the timeto select and setup a new voice each time per song is impossible to do live !

Anyway here are all my keyboards :-
1) Roland RD-170 Stage Piano
2) Roland RD-300S Stage Piano
3) Kurzweil SP2XS Stage Piano
4) Yamaha Tyros 2 Workstation
5) Hammond XK2 Single manual organ
6) Roland VK7 Single manual organ
and some others only played very seldom :-
7) Fatar Studiologic Studio 900 88 note weighted MIDI keyboard
8) Yamaha PSR730 61 note synth
9) CME UF70 76-note MIDI controller keyboard - too complicated for me to use though !!
10) Fatar TML88 - not played for ages
11) M-Audio ProKeys88 Midi Stage Piano 88-note and bloody heavy !
12 Sharma HK60 dual manual Hammond-clone organ

Please help me "DOWN-SIZE" but Tech-Up my rig so I can a) gig better and happier with less lugging heavy kit around and b) get to access the loft studio without too much hard work !

Any suggestions URGENTLY please? Thanks everyone - PLEASE respond - I need your help !!
WELSHPHIL

Reaction score
Hi Phil

Is it time for a clear out maybe? Three bands (great) - but stairs (not good) and bad back (bad).

How techie are you? You've mentioned using the JV1010. Did you change sounds from the front panel or use midi program changes from a controller keyboard?

Here's an old Sound On Sound review of the Kurzweil SP2X - is this like yours only your one has speakers?

http://www.soundonsound.com/pm/nov07/articles/kurzweil.htm

Lots of good stuff on your list but nothing light (don't know the Tyros 2 or the PSR730). I've dumped my multiple keyboards and rack rig - these days I've compromised and gig with a single 76 key (semi-weighted) Roland Juno Stage - just stock - no SRX cards. I gigged an RD300s for years (with other keyboards and modules) - loved it but would hate to go back to something that heavy. I can carry the Stage in a soft case over my shoulder like a guitar.

Casio have a new one coming out soon - PX-5S. Don't know the UK price but 88 keys, weighted, good sound set - quite light. Sell the lot except the Hammond XK2 - and get a Casio PX-3 for the lower tier. Should be a price reduction on the way once the PX-5S comes out - dealers clearing out for new stock. Organ on top tier, piano on bottom tier.

Keyboard review:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/Casio-Privia-PX-3/2319

Reaction score
Dear Goz211 - Fantastic reply and thanks for the tips and experienced suggestions. The new Casio Privia PX-3 looks excellent doesn't it ?! What a package it packs together ! Will try to source any details of the imminent Casio Privia PX-5S asap and get some dealer feedback on when they might be getting one in I can try in to (say) Dawsons of Chester or one of the stores in Liverpool perhaps.
As far as the JV1010 and JV1080 modules were concerned, I just set the rotary knob to the required setting for each sound from the front panel using a Fatar Studiologic Studio 900 MIDI controller keyboard (88-note with superb feel etc.) Speak soon - thanks so much!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Privia PX-5S to show up in your local music shop anytime soon.

By all accounts the one on display at NAMM right now is a prototype and production units probably won't start shipping until late April or early May at the soonest.

Reaction score
Hi! Just been informed by GEAR4Music staff that the Casio Privia PX-5c has a 20% only chance of being sold in Europe !!!! :mad: and :confused:
And... they can't get hold of the latest version of the PX-3 easily either !! Any suggestions who might verify or be able to provide some better news dealer-wise? guys?? please?

Reaction score
Thanks Goldo5210 for the info !! It does look like a great keyboard when it arrives doesn't it !! Are you possibly planning on getting one or do you know someone who might be? Here in the UK, Gear4Music guy was NOT hopeful it would be coming to Europe at all - so here's hoping he is 100% wrong !! What do you use in your rig please? Photos? Let me know - I am always looking to learn from other players !! Thanks again.

Ask a Question