Requesting recommendation for a keyboard beginner player, but experienced guitar player

Reaction score
Hey folks!
As you can see by the title and my profile picture, I am a guitar player. I am just starting to pickup the keys, but I do have enough knowledge about effects, equipment and theory. So, I think I know what I am looking for. Question is: What equipment out there can do all I want them to do? Should I buy a workstation (e.g.: Casio WK6600) or a synth (e.g.: ? Please make your recommendations and let me know if your suggestion would make me compromise in some areas!! Much appreciated.

My wish list for a keyboard:
- Most important tones: pianos, synths, brass/horns and filters (with knob control);
- Most important DSPs/DAW: delay, tremolo, reverb (phaser and flanger are bonuses);
- Capability to split keys and layer effects;
- Capability to download and store a patch tone/DSP/DAW capability from a computer and be used without the computer be plugged in;
- Capability to store a sounds (not a must);
- Min 49 keys, with regular sizes (not mini keys);
- Price range: max $350 (used), $450 (new);

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hi Thyago,

To help us out, how do you intend to use the keyboard? For example, live gigging, home recording studio, a bit of both, or something else?

Right off the bat, I'm going to let you know that your price range is severely limiting you if you want anything new(ish) that's half decent from a hardware perspective.

I'm wondering if a midi controller and software might be your best bet?

Reaction score
Hi Thyago,

To help us out, how do you intend to use the keyboard? For example, live gigging, home recording studio, a bit of both, or something else?

Right off the bat, I'm going to let you know that your price range is severely limiting you if you want anything new(ish) that's half decent from a hardware perspective.

I'm wondering if a midi controller and software might be your best bet?

Thanks for your comments!
Yes, I appreciate the fact it is a limiting budget, and I am willing to take the compromise. As mentioned, I am a guitar player, and this amount of money I can spend in a lot of other guitar stuff lol

I am planing to use a bit of both. Important to note that I do not plan to become Roger Waters! lol Intent is to play very simple pop;funk music that I play with my band now (e.g.Ç Bruno Mars - Uptown funk that has horns and synth/ One Republic - Counting starts that has stings and piano, and so on). I also plan to use as a MIDI controller even for drum beat recording as a guide for my guitar stuff.

I have been wondering if by going with a MIDI controller + iPad if it is the best option I have as I would be able to do almost anything with the software for both recording and live ...

I accept ANY suggestions ... I am all ears as I am new to the keyboard world, so don`t hesitate to propose/recommend something.

Thanks again.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you're considering a Casio WK-6600, I would recommend looking at the WK-7600 or CTK-7200 instead. However, if you can afford to spend a little bit more, you might also want to look at either the XW-P1 or the XW-G1. DISCLAIMER: I have no first-hand experience with any of those models, and have no idea how good they sound, how good their key action feels, how easy it is to navigate their menus and use their panel controls, etc.

I think about the only thing from Yamaha in that price range-- aside from the PSR-E "entry-level" keyboard models-- is going to be the MX49.

I don't know about Korg, Roland, etc.

The Y_man

Reaction score
. Should I buy a workstation (e.g.: Casio WK6600) or a synth (e.g.:

A workstation/arranger like the Casio CTK series allows only basic modification of sampled sounds.

They are designed as "one person band" type instruments with backing etc built in and pre-programmed (with some ability to make your own loops).

Synths are mainly that - they synthesize sound. So creating funky new sounds etc is best done on the synth.

There are machines that can do both - but then they go into the giga-$ range..........

The Y-man

The Y_man

Reaction score
- Most important DSPs/DAW: delay, tremolo, reverb (phaser and flanger are bonuses);

As per guitars - I'd get discrete units (rack or pedal) - most of the inbuilt ones on low end keyboards are not the best IMHO.

An analogy would be buying a guitar amp with the effects built in - you pay the price in ability to configure etc,

The Y-man

Ask a Question