Rhythm Unit?

Reaction score
Back in the seventies I was playing the pubs and clubs as a guitar vocalist. Amongst my gear was a simple rhythm unit....I can't remember the name, but it was a fairly basic box with 5 or 6 rhythms and a tempo control. Rhythms included 'swing', 'rock' and 'waltz' amongst the thrilling choices! I'm playing small bars still, and would love to get my hands on a similar unit now. It seems that the only units available are high tech drum machines, with more patterns, knobs and switches than I'll ever need (or understand!)
Just a long shot.....does anyone know where I might find a very basic rhythm unit such as I've described? Nothing fancy....a low budget item, looks not important as long as it works.
Let me know, many thanks!

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
What you're describing is basically an arranger module. I don't know of any cheap ones, but the expensive ones made by Keltron are pretty impressive. They're Italian, so support in North America is a bit spotty. But if you're in Europe you should have no problem finding them.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Alesis SR-16 is pretty much the most basic and cheapest drum box you can find these days new.

https://www.amazon.com/Alesis-SR16-Classic-Electronic-Articulation/dp/B0002CZYW0

It has all the rhythms you asked for and about a hundred others as well. The controls are simple and you never have to program a beat if you don't want to. You can simply play from the canned items in the menu.

I own an SR-18 it's big brother.

It also has top quality drum and bass voices and thru an amp it sounds very very good.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question