Rig Setup/Stage Orientation – a question for sighted players.

Reaction score
This may seem like a simple question, and to some the answer will be obvious, but as you may know if you’ve read a couple of my previous posts, I’m a blind player, and this question regards a visual aspect.

First up: rig layout. In multiple keyboard setups, is it ok to have your back to the audience sometimes on stage if you have keyboards behind you that are parallel to the front bank of keys? So in effect you’re facing the back of the stage, quite like from the audience’s perspective for instance.

And secondly: With such setups, how should a player and his rig be orientated on the stage? For instance, should the player be facing forward towards the audience as much of the time as possible? Or again, in setups where you have machines behind you also, is facing the side of the stage with your side to the spectators a “do” or a “don’t.”

When I played my charity one-man gig on keys last year, I had my Yamaha and Nord C1 organ in front of me, and my MicroKorg behind me. I had my right hand side turned towards the audience, so to them they would have seen the Korg on the left and the other keyboards on the right. It seemed to work well in this instance, and plus they could see when I was sitting side-on to the keyboards playing one on each side.

The other reason I ask is also because, if I manage to get my soul band together later in the year, I’m thinking of having the Yamaha and my Nord Stage in front of me with the C1 organ behind me as my layout.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Ask a Question