Right price for a KORK CX3

Reaction score
First of all hello everybody!

I am new to the forum, and I hope to come back pretty often.

A question for all of you...

I have been playing electric guitar for about 15 years and I have decided to start playing the keyboard. I would like to buy a keyboard which sounds like a Hammond B3, and I have found a vintage Korg CS3 in perfect condition for 500 euros (that is about 650 USA dollars).

Is it worth to buy this keyboard or should I look for something else? 700 USA dollars would be my limit and I would be willing to buy any second hand keyboard which recreates the B3 sound.

Thank you so much!!!

Iván

Reaction score
Hi

Hi,

It is a CX3 from the eightees. One of the old ones, not the new model.

Thanks,

Iván

Reaction score
If it's the 80s one it's not a bargain IMO.

However if you've actually seen it, played on it and you like it - and if it gets you playing and you can buy it now rather than another wait watching EBay or Gumtree or whatever - go for it.

It's got proper drawbars unlike the Nord clones which sound great but have these odd virtual slider things that light up.

If you had a keyboard already I'd suggest a hardware module with drawbars. You might be able to get a Roland VK8M for that sort of money (2nd hand). Any keyboard at all with a midi out will get you going. You can always pick up a controller that you like later - maybe even one of the fancy organ ones that have "waterfall" style keys.

Voce do organ modules too as do Hammond.

Sound On Sound review of the Roland VK8 - the module is called the VK8M.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep02/articles/rolandvk8.asp

The reviewer isn't dying about it but it does a good job IMO.

The search for the ultimate Hammond clone generates a lot of discussion - as does the search for the "best" digital piano (software or hardware) or how far you can be from Dublin and still be served a perfect pint of Guinness.

At the moment the big buzz in organ world is this Leslie sim effect pedal:

http://neo-instruments.de/en/ventilator/ventilator-features

The Neo Ventilator.

The claim is that it's like a magic wand on just about anything with a basic organ sound. I've still to get a chance to try one out in person so I'm on the fence - and it ain't cheap.

If I'd a regular organ gig that didn't need a two manual thing with pedals - I'd go for the Hammond XK-1 right now - but it's double your budget.

That Roland box is a good bit of kit. Drive it with any old midi equipped keyboard you have lying around - or can borrow.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot.

As said I have been a guitarrist for about 15 years, but I am just a begginer with the keyboard. I think I am going to buy a begginers instrument just to see if I finally like it, and if I do I will put aside some money to buy a Hammond xk-1 or something like that.

Could you please recommend a good learning begginners´ keyboard?

Many thanks!

Iván

Reaction score
IMO you can get going on just about anything. Preferably five octaves (61 notes) but that's for two handed stuff.

Have you any keyboard playing friends that could get you started?

You could go down the piano lessons and/or tutor book route.

If guitar is always going to be your main instrument you could try a different approach. Get someone to show you some chords and learn a few pentatonic scales - the ones you know on guitar already. You'll quickly be able to do something useful in a band situation or for recording.

The sound that people like that they associate with the Hammond isn't both hands going at once and the pedals doing the bass - it's a cool chord held and the Leslie effect getting switched on and off - and a few tasteful licks and riffs.

Reaction score
What about this?

Thank you so much. As you have indicated my plan is learning most of the stuff I use with my guitar (mainly mayor and minor chords, 7th and 9th chords and perhaps a few suspended ones). Also the basic mayor and minor pentatonic scales. After 15 years playing I find I use this in almost everything I play.

Would a keyboard like that one do?

http://www.thomann.de/es/casio_ctk3000_set.htm

It has 61 keys and I think it would be enough to keep me going for about a year. If I end up liking playing the keyboard I will go for a Hammond after that.

Another option would be getting a Privia PX-310 I have seen for 280 euros (a pretty good price I believe). This one has 88 keys though, and may be a bit too much for a begginer.

What do you think?

Many thanks,

Iván

Reaction score
Yes you could learn on that - however if you buy one with a 1/4 inch mono audio out you'll be able to gig with it. Headphone only out is a problem.

The CTK-6000 has proper left and right 1/4 inch jack outs - use the Left one only for sending a signal to a DI box, PA or keyboard combo amp.

The Privia would be great - the keys are weighted however - better for piano than synth/organ.

Reaction score
Thank you so much

Yes you could learn on that - however if you buy one with a 1/4 inch mono audio out you'll be able to gig with it. Headphone only out is a problem.

The CTK-6000 has proper left and right 1/4 inch jack outs - use the Left one only for sending a signal to a DI box, PA or keyboard combo amp.

The Privia would be great - the keys are weighted however - better for piano than synth/organ.

I am not planning to gig with it, as I have no idea about how to play this thing. if I ever learn enought to gig I will get a proper one first.

Is the price of the second hand Privia ok (280 euros)? Would it be much of a problem the fact that it has weighted keys? Or would it be better for me to learn on an synth/organ? The CTK-3000 goes for very little...

Thanks a lot,

Iván

Reaction score
AFAIK that model - the 310 - has been discontinued. Couldn't find a discounted price online to compare but 280 euros seems good. Don't worry about the weighted keys.

The CTK-3000 will be fine too.

I mentioned gigging because you mentioned guitar - in case you gigged out already on guitar.

Reaction score
I am a big fan of software based B3 software, it's sounds really mad using software but you can get really good results from a controller and software on your PC/Mac. I am a big fan of Native Instruments Kontakt Vintages Organs which gives you emulations of B-3, C-3, M-3 Hammond models and also Farfisa and Vox. You get drawbars to edit and if you have a controller with assignable sliders you can have a fully functioning organ with drawbars for very little.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/powered-by-kontakt/vintage-organs/
here is the software.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Oxygen61.html
One possible controller.

Just my thoughts, hope you get sorted out with a setup soon.

Ask a Question