RIP Phil Emmanuel.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
From what I read in the obit you linked they were an Australian act who played globally in the C&W scene.

Tragic as it may be it really doesn't affect me one way or the other. Truth be told I never heard of either of them and likely won't feel any sense of loss without him.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
From what I read in the obit you linked they were an Australian act who played globally in the C&W scene.

Tragic as it may be it really doesn't affect me one way or the other. Truth be told I never heard of either of them and likely won't feel any sense of loss without him.
I assume you must not be a guitarist, even so, it is difficult for me to believe you have never heard of at least Tommy, as he has played many times with the greats like Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler. He has also toured extensively through Europe, the UK, US, etc, and many times also with brother Phil. Tommy would have been the more laid back part of the duo, while Phil was a party hard, worry later type of guy, but could hold his own with the best guitarists of the world. He could play the Shadows, heavy rock, country, you name it, and it would sound authentic.I am a sort of guitar player, so to speak, compared to the ones mentioned, but I still am well aware of many of the famous keys players in the music industry. Yes, he was Australian, as I am also, but even if he wasn't, I am sure I would have heard of him due to his musical talent. Finally, as you had never heard of him, IMO there is no need to comment on his death one way or another, but his family and the wider music industry could well be offended by what you have said.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
When Canadian Superstar Gord Downie died of a brain tumor last year basically nobody here batted an eyelash.

Regional greats are just that. "Regional."

I'm simply not about to be shamed for never having heard of one of yours just as I don't expect you to give a damn about Gord.

Like I said, These guys played in circles which I did not frequent. I never have and never will be a C&W fan and aside from Johnny Cash and Elvis and Flatt and Scruggs, there's damned few names on that roster that I know or care about.

Sorry, but life doesn't give a damn, The reaper takes us all eventually, rich, poor, talented, untalented and known and unknown equally, without pity and without fanfare in the end.

But I DO take offense that you assume that I am somehow a lesser being for not mourning some backup guitarist on the stage of life and not knowing him by either name or reputation.

My brain cells are filled to bursting with celebrity names accrued over the past 60 years or so and I seriously doubt that you either know or give a damn about dozens of people whom I'd consider notable.

Finally I'd consider it in poor taste to even revive this thread months later solely for the purpose of chastising me. Your comments certainly will not console any grieving widows or orphans and otherwise accomplish nothing but reopen your own imaginary wounds.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Finally I'd consider it in poor taste to even revive this thread months later
Gary, the guy passed away just a couple of weeks ago, and I am sorry you feel I am the one talking in bad taste, the thread wasn't revived my myself, as you can see. Phil was not a ''backing guitar player'' as you claim, he was well known and regarded worldwide and played huge audiences wherever they toured. Just because you weren't aware of him doesn't give you the right to say what you said regarding his death. I was never into Prince, or Michael Jackson etc, but I would never say I couldn't care less regarding their death. There is always someone who is hurt by the death of another human being, and unless you can say something with respect, best to say nothing at all. For your information, and an earlier poster, Phil Emmanuel was not known as a country artist, he could simply play any style very well, which ranked him up with the best. May he rest in peace.

Ask a Question