Risks with buying used?

Reaction score
I want to buy a digital 88-key weighted keyboard for my granddaughter. There is quite a selection on Kijiji and Craigslist. Are there risks when buying here - e.g. are there significant problems that occur after the instrument is out of warranty, etc., which would mean it would be better to buy new?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Buying second hand is an option to save money and perhaps pick up a bargain. Maybe a high range model for a budget price.
Of course there are risks.
Another option . . Music shops sometimes have trade ins. These can be late models which didn't suit the muso for whatever reason. I bought my used keyboard from a shop and they threw in a 12 month warranty.;)
Food for thought.
Cheers ray

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I bought a used keyboard through Craigslist and have had no problems with it (knock on wood).

Of course it can be risky. The risk can actually go both ways-- to the seller as well as the buyer-- because no matter which side of the sale you're on, the person on the other side could be looking to rip you off. But I think the majority of the time you're dealing with someone honest who just wants to get rid of a keyboard for some reason and get a bit of cash for it. As long as you're careful, try out the keyboard before you buy it, ask questions to allay your concerns, etc., you should be okay.

But you should be sensible about the price you're willing to pay. Check out the model to see when it was released, whether there is a newer model, how many models there were between the current model and the used one you're looking at, how its features compare with those of the latest model, etc. Even though most people are probably just trying to get rid of a keyboard they no longer want, they're also going to want to get as much as they can for it, and I've seen some asking prices that are-- to be honest-- a bit delusional.

But you may also need to factor in whether the seller is including accessories such as a dust cover, carrying case, music bench, music stand, foot pedal, etc. If that's the case, see if you can identify and price each item separately to figure out how much the owner paid for everything new. Put yourself in the seller's shoes and try to decide whether the price they're asking seems fair.

Reaction score
no matter which side of the sale you're on, the person on the other side could be looking to rip you off.
Sage words.

My stage piano was purchased pre-owned, and I bought it off Gumtree (Australian on-line buy/sell intermediary). I've never had a single bit of trouble with it.

What I did do first though was audition the keyboard. Before I parted with my cash I tried every key, the damper function, every control and inspected the keyboard itself for wear and damage. I'm not sure I would buy a used keyboard if I weren't able to do the above.

Slightly away from the original question, but a good cautionary tale below:

In reference to Michael's post - I also sold my old stage piano via Gumtree and that experience was a living nightmare. In future I will only sell to buyers who meet me personally - so they can test the keyboard for themselves and we can agree that it works to their satisfaction.

Although most of my keyboards are gigged heavily, I keep them in immaculate condition. They all have hard cases when they travel and I've never put a dent, scratch or mark on one. They have dust covers and they all work 100%, otherwise they're no good to me. The 'board I sold was no exception. The reason for the sale was playing larger venues (so more space to lug bigger 'boards) and wanting to upgrade from a semi-weighted 76 to a weighted 88.

The guy gets the keyboard. First text I get is about how it doesn't do something or other. I politely text back explaining that it's a stage piano not a synth, and referring the purchaser to a website where he can download for free a type of sound that might help him. Then I get a note about how the keyboard doesn't sound very good. I again politely text back saying it sounds how it sounds, and these things are subjective. Personally, I thought it sounded wonderful and gave him some links of videos he could watch of the 'board (the actual one he had) going through its paces in front of an appreciative audience.

A few days later, another note about how it's making a strange static noise. By this point I've had enough and I said that if he wanted to send me a recording highlighting all these deficiencies, AFTER he'd checked his cables, DI, PA and speakers, I'd happily refund his purchase price (less postage), just so I could stop putting up with his harassment.

Didn't hear from him again.

Last edited:

Ask a Question