Rock Band Keytar acting strangely

Reaction score
hello all, new to midi, been recording forever though. guitar/bassist mostly
so i get a rockband keytar at a yardsale for 2 bucks, and a cheap victsing midi usb adapter for all of 3 dollars.
using windows 7, seems to recognize the keybaord, but it doesnt respond at all, whats more, when the "out" of the midi/usb cable, the keytar shows red LED lights as if it was working. anyone else experience this issue.
any help would be appreciated

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all, are you certain you have it hooked up correctly? MIDI IN always connects to MIDI OUT and vice versa.

Secondly, what software are you trying to control with it? It won't make any sound unless you are using it to control a computer Virtual Studio Instrument. (VSTi)

Here's a simple freeware virtual synth you can use to test it.

http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

Follow the directions for use on that page and get back to us if it still doesn't work for you.

Gary

Reaction score
thanks fort he quick response
theres only one port on the keyboard, an out.
plugging "In" into it causes the "in" led on the usb adapter to flicker, but the keytar's "guide" button just flashes.
plugging "out" causes the keyboard's LEDs to respond to buttons, as if it was connected properly.
i'm gonna check your site andh ope for the best

thanks again

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
yeah, looks like an issue of being a cheap piece, i've had some crappy casios that worked easily with any random midi interface.
i'm only as bummed as 6 bucks will allow :)
thanks again, i'll mess with it till i get a new cable

Ask a Question