Rock Bottom

Reaction score
It has a lovely mournful melody :) There were a couple of bits where it sounded a bit off though (eg at around 40s.) but not sure if it's just me

Reaction score
Hi Becky...I've had a listen to It. again...with a well rested mind this time.. I think i know what you mean..I probably could improve that part...I should know better than to make music and post It up on a late night..my judgment can sometimes be a bit off..I'll get to work on It later again when I get other things out the way first..I shall post up the results when I'm finished...so please stay tuned and thanx for the helpful advice.
Later :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That last one was a truly lovely piece of work Dee. You've got the melodies and the technique down pat. Now's the time to work on your orchestration.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That last one was a truly lovely piece of work Dee. You've got the melodies and the technique down pat. Now's the time to work on your orchestration.

Gary ;)

Hi Gary :) do you think the sound samples are a bit out of sync with the melody....i thought they were fine..i did the best i could do with the program i used...it's very difficult to find samples that match a melody like that..it would of probably turned out better if i had a decent keyboard...but unfortunately i'm very limited to what i have available to me...thank you for your input as always mate :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think the samples give it an organic, ambient feel. Sometimes a bit of phase angle or delay can give a piece a smoother, rounder tone.

As for software and keyboard, what exactly are you working with? Perhaps we can make some helpful suggestions as to how to improve your workflow?

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with those software choices but you might want to explore working with other DAW software and you simply MUST have some sort of MIDI controller if you plan on recording to a DAW. Working with Audio recordings can be nice but you have so much more control with an actual keyboard hooked up to the computer.

I'd recommend an Alesis V61 which is a pretty decent budget priced entry level controller for working with VSTis and Samplers.

https://www.amazon.com/Alesis-V61-Keyboard-Controller-Buttons/dp/B00IWWHIUI

$170 is a small investment for any serious musician and it will take you so much farther.

I'd also recommend a more professional DAW such as Reaper which is uncrippled and the demo never expires.

If you need help with Reaper just check Youtube for Reaper Tutorials and you will find step by step guidance on how to use every function.

Once you start inputting your notes directly into the computer you'll never want to go back to your old methods.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I already did that In the past Gary, I used to have an M-Audio Oxygen 61 midi controller.. I thought I was gonna achieve great things with It...Errrrg I was wrong!! I hated it basically ..It ended up in the bin...I bought It off of Ebay..It didn't come with any Daw so i had to use a free one off of the internet that was shite, It also had a faulty USB connection so I couldn't sell It on,hence the reason It got binned...I'd rather have a keyboard with everything built in... to be honest also with 88 key hammer action keys,I'm not to keen on using those thin springy keys anymore you get on a lot of those controllers. At the moment It's just to expensive for me, I have other commitments so I'll have to wait...thanx anyway Gary your help is very much appreciated.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I guess it boils down to priorities. Personally I don't take vacations, ever, so I'd rather spend my extra savings on gear instead.

As for Oxygen controllers? I owned an Oxygen 49 and I agree it's a huge pile of shite.

I've since replaced my Oxygen with an Alesis QX49 and the difference is like night and day. The action is worlds better than the M-Audio's.

Anyway, if you are willing to save up and splurge on a first rate 88 Weighted Hammer Action Controller then I'd suggest saving up for an Arturia or a Studiologic or an Akai MPK88.

Just remember though, if you are committed to software synths then you also have to be willing to spend money on a fast and modern enough computer that you would have to dedicate to music. Otherwise if you load it up with all the usual day to day internet and business crap, it will crawl at snail speed with so much lag as to be unusable.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with those software choices but you might want to explore working with other DAW software and you simply MUST have some sort of MIDI controller if you plan on recording to a DAW. Working with Audio recordings can be nice but you have so much more control with an actual keyboard hooked up to the computer.

I'd recommend an Alesis V61 which is a pretty decent budget priced entry level controller for working with VSTis and Samplers.

https://www.amazon.com/Alesis-V61-Keyboard-Controller-Buttons/dp/B00IWWHIUI

$170 is a small investment for any serious musician and it will take you so much farther.

I'd also recommend a more professional DAW such as Reaper which is uncrippled and the demo never expires.

If you need help with Reaper just check Youtube for Reaper Tutorials and you will find step by step guidance on how to use every function.

Once you start inputting your notes directly into the computer you'll never want to go back to your old methods.

Gary ;)

Thanx again Gary some nice keyboards there more like what I'd be looking for..you've been a great help mate :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One final bit of advice. I presume you were referring to the 88 controllers I mentioned instead of the previous post you quoted, (all great choices btw) but when it comes to computers, if you really want to use it for music then buy Apple. They definitely cost more but they are much more reliable and easier to set up for music than any PC.

And if your budget is tight you should be able to squeeze by with an iPad or a Mac Mini.

Those options aren't far off in price from a regular PC and they will make decent dedicated music computers on a budget.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question