Rock keyboard book

Reaction score
Hi! I just got this greatbook for learning,
ROCK KEYBOARD by Scott Miller in the Hal Leonard series. It contains examples for backup & solo in all styles of rock including 'classic, hard rock, southern, alternative, prog & metal". Plus there is a CD for the music-notation challenged.

As soon as I get my basic chops as far as chords & scales, I'll start learning from this book.

Meanwhile I have been learning a lot by playing along with a Grateful Dead jam CD. The thing about a jam CD recorded at one of their concerts is, the songs just go go on & on and give you lots of time to pick up the basic chords & riffs. A more commercial CD would be much tighter and harder to play along with. (the downside is, they are so loose that sometimes you can't tell what the heck key they're playing in.)

A question that is off the topic... there are so few women rock guitarists. I wonder if the ratio is any better in keyboards...? How about in this group?

Reaction score
no your ratio is even worse.....key players tend to be the musical nerd in the band who has the music technical part down........guitarists are just simple....... but yeah its a far far far worse ration

Reaction score
no your ratio is even worse.....key players tend to be the musical nerd in the band who has the music technical part down........guitarists are just simple....... but yeah its a far far far worse ration

Yeah I believe you, but you know what, I don't even CARE, I have always been a Nerd and a total misfit in every way. I was fascinated with bands & music ever since high school and most other girls were just interested in bands if they had cute guys ;). (nothing wrong with that. But I was actually interested in the MUSIC.) I was a banjo player in an all womens bluegrass band in the 70s. I continued to be an anomaly all thru my life and now I'm old enough to be a granny and here I am learning to be a keyboard player.

Who wants to be conventional???

Reaction score
Roland D-20

well if you really wanna be a misfit(like me) and its the music your interested in.....you should look into playing the hammond organ!

Um... that's not a Joke I hope :p. I don't actually know pianos etc... I played string instruments all my life. Until this year, keys/piano were just a 'want to be." Well last nite a guy in my Jam band shows up with this monstrous Roland D-20... a heavy 88 key monster from the 80s. Yikes! He said "want to borrow this awhile? Nobody at my house plays it."

I'm all ready to fire it up. Wonder what it'll sound like? :eek:

Reaction score
What's prog???

Progressive rock. Or just "progressive". Originally it was bands like Yes, Genesis, Kansas, Renaissance. Music that was classical=influenced, a bit orchestral, sometimes artsy, bombastic, poetic, imaginative, longer than 3 minutes, more than 3 chords. Dream Theater is the most famous modern prog-rock band.

Reaction score
Dear Laura,

I've been noticing you've posting very good questions and your very cool.I'd like to add you to my buddy list if that's okay with you.:D

Reaction score
I've been noticing you've posting very good questions and your very cool.I'd like to add you to my buddy list if that's okay with you.:D

Sure, thanks a lot :) I'm not exactly a keyboard pro though, I got my first keybd in November.:cool:

Reaction score
Well, I can say from the music I listen to 99% of the time(power metal for those of you who forgot :mad:), aside from female vocalist, the only other role I have seen women take is keyboards. Even then that counts only as 2 I have seen. Women just seems to be very scarce in the general metal scene.

Reaction score
Well, I can say from the music I listen to 99% of the time(power metal for those of you who forgot :mad:), aside from female vocalist, the only other role I have seen women take is keyboards. Even then that counts only as 2 I have seen. Women just seems to be very scarce in the general metal scene.

do you like Sonata arctica? xD or Nightwish?? =D or epica or sth (A)

Reaction score
Sonata Arctica is a mixed bag for me, some their songs I love, but I decided not buy their new album when I was in another of my cd buying sprees. They seem to only get it right every now and then.

I generally like most of Nightwish. Some songs are annoying(not suprisingly it's the ones where it's mostly just Tarja singing :).

Havn't given Epica a good listen yet. I'll give you a reply after I give them a listen.

Sth?

Anyway, I was watching bonus features of the Magic Circle Festival Volume 1 and one of the band that were interviewed had a female keyboardist. Can't remember the band's name, but that makes 3!

Ask a Question