Rocker Tom Petty dies at 66

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
U.S. rock icon Tom Petty has died at the age of 66 after suffering a cardiac arrest. Petty released a string of hits over his career, including American Girl, Refugee, Free Fallin’. “Petty and the Heartbreakers – as capable a backing band as ever assembled – made music destined for open-road listening,” Brad Wheeler writes in an obituary for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee.

I loved his music. RIP Tom...

Gary :(

Reaction score
I will probably get lambasted for this, but I was never a huge fan of Tom. I just didn't gel with his music. And I took umbrage at his attitude towards synth players. He wasn't a fan of synths in rock, he said in an interview that he didn't think they were real rock and was very disdainful of them. Until he started to use them himself that is...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Fair enough. I can understand your antipathy to his disdain for synth players.

However, this does not diminish his accomplishments as a prolific songwriter and a great guitarist.

For me, I don't care if the sound is created by crashing garbage can lids together. If you can create a piece of good music then it will set my toes a tapping and I will not question the validity of the instruments used.

I consider myself a keyboard lover and not a keyboard snob.

If you cannot separate the man from the instrument then that is a tragic loss for all.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
My disdain for his attitude has nothing to do with my apathy towards his music, I was just not a fan. I do appreciate his place in the pantheon and music won't be the same without him, but it won't have a huge impact on me personally. If he is one of yours, then I am sad for your loss.

Ask a Question