Roland A-49 for Live Performance

Reaction score
Can a Roland A-49 controller be used live without a computer? This assumes, of course, its MIDI out goes to a sound module.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I see no reason why not. I use an Alesis QX49 controller with a $100 MIDI module as a standalone practice instrument.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Since the controller gets its power via computer USB, how do I power it w/o the computer?
Would it be an A to B cable, plugging the A into the wall outlet adapter like charging a phone?

My module connects to my DAW via a MIDI-to-USB adapter because my module has no USB port - only MIDI IN/THRU. The adapter has a USB cable going to the computer and 2 MIDI males marked IN and OUT. The OUT feeds my module's IN, of course. I wondered if the IN would receive from my controller's OUT, but got nothing. I don't happen to have an ordinary MIDI cable on hand.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My Alesis has a separate power in jack for an adapter but you can still power your Roland with a standard USB cable plugged into a USB wall wart and use the MIDI connector to connect to the module.

Neither device has USB HOST abilities so a direct USB connection is not doable.

I assume the module has its own power supply?

Be sure to get a 2 amp USB power brick in case it needs the juice.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question