Roland A-80 repair advice-ideas needed

Reaction score
Hi all.

I bought a second hand A 80 controller. i know it’s way too old and obsolete but It’s a good and very well constructed controller and I really don’t need it for poly aftertouch but mainly for piano duties. I feel like this one deserves some good care.

Things work ok in general. But I’m facing a couple of serious issues.

1) Some keys seem to travel deeper and making a louder and very dry release noise (comparing to the other keys) especially the middle octaves (normal since they have been used the most) black ones , like there is very little felt cushion below them.
I know it’s a noisy action overall, but these particular keys sound and feel like there is a problem.
Is there any particular felt cushion I could use to replace the old one? Could it be a plastic-rubber key contact issue? Plastic-rubber contact problems usually have to do with velocity.

2) The previous owner replaced the display with a nice blue one, but for some of the sections some strange characters appear. Could it be a lithium battery problem or something related with the display replacement?

Since I intent on making any repair myself (I have past experience and quite good knowledge and also because of the excessive weight of the controller) please give me any related advice.

Thanks

Reaction score
The display issue is sorted, since it was an issue of bad reset and absolute change of naming. But the keybed issue remains and it’s pretty serious.

Reaction score
Search ebay for "piano felt"

Be careful not to get too thick a felt.

Gary ;)

Thanks Gary for the reply.

According to Syntaur (speciality store on older keyboards) these are the felts I need.

The bad thing is that Syntaur is in the states and it will cost me over 50 dolars to get these felt tapes (tax + shipping incl). So I wonder could I use simple felt or window insulating adhesive material or something simpler?

Any suggestions? Please send me some links

Ask a Question