Roland AX-09 vs AX-Synth

Reaction score
I chose AX-09 over the AX-Synth because the former has better range of "keyboard" sounds. The AX-Synth was apparently designed to replace the guitar player, since it has mostly guitar sounds. Look in the back of the users manuals for both and you'll see AX-SYNTH has five dozen guitar/bass sounds, the AX-09 has under two dozen and proportionally more "popular keyboard" sounds. And the AX-09 price is so much better than the SYNTH. Especially if you're just looking for an alternate/additional/lite keyboard.

We keyboard players provide several voices in the course of a song, and this is where the AX-09 shines. Placement of Voicing controls under and in front of the keyboard feels very natural, and fast! With a little practice, I'm now switching voices in a single beat, sometimes without looking. And i've never had a problem accidently switching voices in the middle of a keyboard riff.

If they would just add one more octave, trim several inches off the space behind the keys, and put all the buttons in front of the keyboard, it would be the best Keytar on the market.

Ask a Question