Roland BK-3 Touch Sensitivity

Reaction score
Hi.

I owned a Roland G800 for 15 years. I use it to accompany singers. I decided to swap it for a BK-3, mainly due to size and weight. The main problem I have with the BK-3 is the sensitivity of the keys. My veocity is very inconsistent. I get inaudible notes followed by ones that jump out, even with the curve set to low. I never had this problem with my G800 and had the velocity curve set to medium. Part of my problem is that I learnt to play on an electronic organ which wasn't touch sensitive. Does the problem lie with the keyboard or is it my technique?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Reaction score
Welcome.

It is not just a problem with your keyboard, other makes have the same problem.

I have it with one of my Korgs, I had to keep adjusting the settings until I found the best ones to suit me.

Do note that the velocity settings may be variable in different regions of the keybed, for me that involved three sections each with its own setting.

It is a case of getting the key settings to suit your style.

Reaction score
Welcome.

It is not just a problem with your keyboard, other makes have the same problem.

I have it with one of my Korgs, I had to keep adjusting the settings until I found the best ones to suit me.

Do note that the velocity settings may be variable in different regions of the keybed, for me that involved three sections each with its own setting.

It is a case of getting the key settings to suit your style.

Thankyou for your reply.

There are only four settings, low, medium, high and off. If I play normally, I have a soft touch and so have to hit the keys constantly hard, which is uncomfortable to me. I can lower the backing but then the notes that jump out are really loud. The best option seems to be off but that doesn't really seem very musical. When I listen to people play the same model on YouTube, their velocity seems much more consistent, making me think the problem is with me. I was much better with the G800...

Reaction score
The BK 3 may not be the best keyboard for you.

Did you look at any others prior to your purchase of the BK 3 and did you try them before you bought?

A company near me have a no quibble 30 day return for a full refund on online sales so where you bought yours from may have a no quibble full refund, with this shop I quote, I go and try and only buy online as there t&c’s are different for counter v online sales.

What I am leading up to is a suggestion that you send it back as having faulty keybed and then go off and physically try another keyboard before you purchase.

If you can I would up the budget if you go this route

Reaction score
The BK 3 may not be the best keyboard for you.

Did you look at any others prior to your purchase of the BK 3 and did you try them before you bought?

A company near me have a no quibble 30 day return for a full refund on online sales so where you bought yours from may have a no quibble full refund, with this shop I quote, I go and try and only buy online as there t&c’s are different for counter v online sales.

What I am leading up to is a suggestion that you send it back as having faulty keybed and then go off and physically try another keyboard before you purchase.

If you can I would up the budget if you go this route

I bought the keyboard second hand off eBay for £260 so can't return it. I like the styles, the sounds are a little weak but OK. It's just the touch. I will persevere for a while and then consider changing if a don't get on with it. It's horrible performing when you're not happy with the sound. Anyway, thanks for your replies. I wish you well.

Reaction score
I had the same problem but only on certain tones.
Pianos are fine.
Play the Natural Piano tone 1.If no notes jump out then its not the keyboard its the sample.
One of the Nylon guitars is unusable due to velocity issues but some are fine.
Again its the sample not the Keyboard.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Barry

Ask a Question