Roland D50 has no sound or display.Help!

Reaction score
I have a D50 that needed a battery.it had display but no sounds.after I replaced the 3 volt battery,I had no display and still no sounds? I check for loose cables,i tried a factory reset.still can not get it working.i was told i may need to reload sounds,but that won't get the display working. I don't want to buy a display if it's now the motherboard.any help would be appreciated.thx.

Reaction score
Sounds like a cable issue to me. Replacing the battery is not going to cause a display issue to happen simultaneously with the battery replacement. Go back in and recheck all of the cables.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
All I know is that on many early model Rolands a dead internal battery can cause total loss of the operating system as well as the internal voices.

He's better off asking over on Rolandclan to see if this is normal behaviour and if it requires activating the bootloader and reloading the operating system.

This is a job for experts. It's possible he may have detached an internal cable when replacing the battery but it's just as likely he gave the OS the kiss of death when power was lost and it needs to be reinstalled.

Either way it could result in display issues just as easily.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Just thought I would post a similar D50 issue I solved:
After a battery change, had a non working display and lost all sound.
Tested for +/- 12 v to display (white and black wire), discovered black display power wire (from power supply) was pinched under a screw.
Resoldered/fixed wire & display worked again. But due to battery change I had lost all memory.
Used Sysex Librarian & Bin files from Bobby Blues site (had to convert BIN to sysex first using http://www.difficultaudio.com/roland.php).
Reloaded D50 with sysex file (TuneFunction>Protect Off>Data Transfer>BulkLoad>) & viola - works perfectly !!!

Ask a Question