Roland DS-88 or Korg Krome-88

Reaction score
I am able to get a used (4 months old) Krome-88 for the same price as a new Roland DS-88.

Which has the better piano sound? I'm used to the sound on my Yamaha P90. Which has the better keyboard feel? Which has better sounds? Better variety?

How does layering compare? I'm using this for playing live and I'd really like a footswitch to do things like: turn on and off strings layering over my piano sound. Start stop a pattern or a recorded line.

It really comes down to which is better for use playing live in a band. I want to be able to do just about everything I can do. (and which is a more reliable keyboard)

Thanks for any input

Reaction score
Neither is likely to have as good a set of acoustic piano sounds as your Yamaha, it is just the way it is, Yamaha do have imo the best.

But, that said, both the Korg and Roland have the capacity to add additional sound patches and both have a very large range of parameter and effects adjustments available.

The Krome does have Korg’s Combi layering function and they can be created very quickly and easily as can the parameter adjustments. They can then be saved to a user bank and also saved to Favourites for quick access.

Inbuilt sounds will be close in numbers and quality.

There are members here who have the models and they can be more specific than I.

Reaction score
I think I would go with the korg.. but it's used. If i buy it and something goes wrong. that's that.. The only thing the korg does not have that the roland does is the ability to load your own samples easily and to put them on the pad buttons on the keyboard.

I'm so wary of getting a used keyboard. That alone is pushing me toward the ps-88. I have heard the piano and it sounds pretty damn good to me. THe ps-88 can layer just like combis.. and can be saved to user banks. they call it "performance mode"

Reaction score
You do have an alternative.

The alternative to a new Roland Juno DS is a new Korg Kross 2, which is at the same price point as the DS.

A Korg Krome is a direct competitor to a Roland FA.

Both Roland and Korg have video tutorials to help buyers and would be buyers to learn about the features.

Reaction score
If i can be convinced it's ok to buy used, then i would go with the krome. The DS seems to have the best keyboard feel. But the krome has a better piano sound and a lot more features. Its harder to get samples into the korg, but it CAN be done.

Is it ok to buy used? it's right from the music store. They claim it was only used for 4 months and then sold back to them. I could have them how me the sale receipt and check the serial number.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If i can be convinced it's ok to buy used, then i would go with the krome. The DS seems to have the best keyboard feel. But the krome has a better piano sound and a lot more features. Its harder to get samples into the korg, but it CAN be done.

Is it ok to buy used? it's right from the music store. They claim it was only used for 4 months and then sold back to them. I could have them how me the sale receipt and check the serial number.

There's nothing wrong with buying used gear. Just make sure that everything's working properly when you test it. Did the store give a reason for the return? I would ask. Also ask if they offer any kind of third party warranty on used gear. Chances are if it works OK for a month or three it'll work fine for years to come.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with buying used keyboards, however ensure you test it thoroughly first.

Based on the scenario you describe, it should still have some of the manufacturer’s warranty left on it. Enquire at the music store.

I have no comment on the DS but I find the Krome is exceptionally good for live gigging. Versatile and easy to set up and navigate. I’ve never loaded samples into it.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Seems Rat and Cowboy are joined at the hip! haha!

Anyway, @dfoley Just to reassure and concur with the cowboyrat hipsters . . I bought a 2nd hand KB (out of warranty) from a dealer. They offered me a 6 months warranty. I bought it on that basis. Nothing has gone wrong with it and it gets a thrashing every day. Had it now for 5 years approx. It is a 2011 model. Suits me fine for my home studio.

Ray

Reaction score
Which one has the best piano sound ? That's very personal, but I would have to say the Krome 88 (I assume it's the Krome EX, since it's only 4 months old, if it's the older one, wouldn't get it).
As for the best piano touch : definitely the Juno DS 88. The Krome EX88 and the Kross 2 88 both have the same keybed, great for general piano-keyboard-synth use, not so great if you'll be playing mostly piano. The DS definitely has an edge here and it certainly is no slouch in the sound department, far from it...

Reaction score
So i have made a purchase. The Krome 88 (not the EX). Got it off reverb.com. It came with an extra main board! The original owner said he bought it from friend who got it from guitar center and it came with the extra main board. What the heck does that mean? Everything sounds good. The piano sounds seem to have a bit of phasing.. maybe modulation.. something. Anyone else have that feeling with the piano sounds? I turned off all effects. I should probably check in headphones, but I don't have a good set. Using studio monitors right now.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Do you mean it came with an extra main circuit board? If so then the seller's story is total hogwash. He probably bought it non functioning on ebay and replaced the motherboard to sell at a profit. At least that's what I'd surmise from that kettle of fish.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
turn out piano sounds ok to me today.. must have been my tired ears. Anyways, what's with me getting an extra main board?

Reaction score
if he did buy it on ebay and replace the main board.. then why toss in the extra "bad" mainboard?

Reaction score
Also i know you can't tell if a main board is bad by looking at it.. but it looks pristine. Untouched. wrapped in the original bubble wrap that it came in. Marked with the part number sticker. It looks brand new to me.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Whatever the reason, his story doesn't click. Generally speaking there's no reason to include a second motherboard unless A) he fixed it and the spare is bad, or B) He fixed it but bought the spare board before he discovered the problem was elsewhere and threw it in the deal to clean out his junk drawer.

Either way, it sounds to me like you bought someone else's problem board.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I wouldn’t stress too much. Some of the old Kromes have a problem with piano sounds cutting off sharply with a “pop” when sustained for a while. Original purchaser may have grabbed the extra motherboard as a possible mitigant?

However you’ve stated you tested the piano samples and they sound fine. If it works properly, good luck to you. Don’t overthink it.

Reaction score
One last question what's with the yellowish keys on the first octave of the keyboard. I hope you can see it in the picture. It is only the top of the key that is discolored. Under the key looks exactly the same as the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_20200319_215437.jpg
    IMG_20200319_215437.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 250

Ask a Question