Roland DS Pattern Noob

Reaction score
I'm thinking of purchasing a DS61. I used to play acoustic piano but haven't played much for years. I'm thinking of the DS61 because of cost, size, expansion packs and it looks like fun. I tend to play classical/neoclassical stuff but I would like to play with world music also.

So my real question is what would I do with the pads on the DS/ Looking at Roland videos it seems that I might use them to create bass/left hand patterns to play over?

Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You are sort of correct.

The pads are mainly used to select/enable step sequences but can also be used for other functions depending on what mode the keyboard is in.

I'd suggest downloading the manual and skimming thru these sections before you pull the trigger.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if your style of playing is classical, neo-classical and progressive you may want to consider the DS88 instead of the DS61.

If you're coming from a classical piano background the extra expense is well worthwhile.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
BTW, if your style of playing is classical, neo-classical and progressive you may want to consider the DS88 instead of the DS61.

If you're coming from a classical piano background the extra expense is well worthwhile.

Gary ;)
It's the size that gets me. I'm trying to avoid the 88 key length; the keyboard will be on a desktop. If they had a 73 key model I'd jump on it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
But there will be a significant difference in touch. the 61 is not weighted or hammer action.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Can I suggest that you also consider the Korg Kross 2, its a direct competitor to the DS but is a much newer model and is significantly lighter.

Depending upon the selected mode the Pads can be either for setting Drum patterns, programmed to initiate playback of a recorded file or for single button change of an instrument sound or a combination.

Korg Video Manuals are the series to search for.

I did look very seriously at the Juno DS before I choose the Korg which was mainly because of the weight, it was a new model and some of the functions are easier and quicker for me to use verses the DS. I tested each our about five or six times before deciding.

If you can I suggest going to a music store and play both.

That said visiting a music store is hell for me as I now want a Korg Kronos, a Nord and Kursweil, a Kompact ..... the list goes on, once I play something I have to have it, I really had to keep my hands in my pockets yesterday, it was bright it was all lit up and ready to play but it was a Yamahaha Genos, no way was I going there.

Reaction score
Can I suggest that you also consider the Korg Kross 2, its a direct competitor to the DS but is a much newer model and is significantly lighter.

Depending upon the selected mode the Pads can be either for setting Drum patterns, programmed to initiate playback of a recorded file or for single button change of an instrument sound or a combination.

Korg Video Manuals are the series to search for.

I did look very seriously at the Juno DS before I choose the Korg which was mainly because of the weight, it was a new model and some of the functions are easier and quicker for me to use verses the DS. I tested each our about five or six times before deciding.

If you can I suggest going to a music store and play both.

That said visiting a music store is hell for me as I now want a Korg Kronos, a Nord and Kursweil, a Kompact ..... the list goes on, once I play something I have to have it, I really had to keep my hands in my pockets yesterday, it was bright it was all lit up and ready to play but it was a Yamahaha Genos, no way was I going there.

I notice your signature says you also have/had a Korg PA700, How do you like that vs the Kross?

Reaction score
After reviews, (although reviews can be misleading) videos and talking to some, I just ordered the ds-61 for the reason you mentioned above. A lot to do with size.
Like mentioned I am learning , or trying, to learn the piano and a synth is the way I decided to go and the ds seemed to fit the bill.

Reaction score
Right now I have a little behringer practice amp. Not to up on Amps. yet.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Behringer makes some decent budget amps, but if you ever feel the need to hear stereo separation then you might want to take a look at the Mackie 3 inchers or their bigger brothers the 4 and 5 inch versions.

They are quite reasonably priced for what you get.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Behringer makes some decent budget amps, but if you ever feel the need to hear stereo separation then you might want to take a look at the Mackie 3 inchers or their bigger brothers the 4 and 5 inch versions.

They are quite reasonably priced for what you get.

Gary ;)
Thy are just powered speakers? Like the cr4's

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
They are powered speakers with three different types of inputs.

They have 1/4" TS inputs, RCA Line Level Inputs and 3.5 mm Computer cable inputs.

These would also make excellent computer monitors and in a pinch the 3 inchers are plenty loud enough for a living room performance.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Excellent, will check them out. I like their small foot print.
Thanks Gary.

Reaction score
I use KRK Rokit 5" monitors. Like everything subject, some people don't like them. A lot of people seem to recommend Yamaha HS8 8" monitors. The Yamaha model also comes in 5" and 7" versions.

Reaction score
I notice your signature says you also have/had a Korg PA700, How do you like that vs the Kross?

Chalk and cheese.

The 700 has some great instrument sounds and styles, and some great combination of instrument voices.

There are a few poor instrument voices especially clean electric guitars which are simply not up to the job, same with some of the wind instruments.

It is a very versatile keyboard.

On the other hand I simply love the Kross 2, it lends itself to be more creative and improv and the Combinations of sounds that can be layered, created and given effects is brilliant for a base level synth/workstation.

It does all I want it to but it was a close call between buying it or the DS.

The Kross 2 cost me the equivalent of $100 more than the DS would have but it was a brand new model where the DS is a few years old but by far the most important aspects for me is that it is way smaller than the DS and much more lighter in weight.

Portability was a major factor in the decision and the Kross 2 blew everything in its price range away, and it even runs on batteries.

Ask a Question