Roland DS61 as a midi controller in Mainstage

Reaction score
First post… having a issue that I can’t figure out. I am trying to use my Juno DS as a midi controller with MainStage and want to be able to use the Juno for midi sounds thru MainStage (thru a USB mixer) and be able to also use the Juno internal sounds also. I can adjust what source with the mixer ( either USB or Input) but when the Juno is used as the source sounds, the keyboard in MainStage is missing an octave. ( I have it set to 61 keys) it literally skips an entire octave ( have tried settings inside MainStage- no luck) When I put Juno in DAW mode.. it works fine, but then can’t access my internal Juno favorites- that I know of. I have played with the MIDI channels… honestly don’t know if they are correct or not? Should the Juno be set at a certain Channel to properly send the signal? Sorry about being long… side note: when I use my other (m audio ) midi controller everything works perfect- no keyboard issues in MainStage and choosing input source allows me to pick either source or both for playing. Do I need to set the midi channels in the Juno to a specific channel ? Thanks in advance as I am new to setting this stuff up properly.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'll assume you are using the Roland Factory Driver to send sound and MIDI over USB.

Have you tried it with the Generic MIDI driver setting in the Keyboard?

You will lose the Audio over USB but you can always patch the line outs to your mixer.

I just sold mine today.

About to order a Korg Nautilus 88 to replace it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yes, I did try the Generic driver also…. It didn’t seem to fix the issue…. Maybe I have the midi settings set to the wrong channels (1-16) .. I have the Juno set at tx 3 and same channel for performance….do I need to specify a certain channel for it not to glitch? About to go back to the cheap M Audio midi controller and just use the Juno as a separate input… also hard to map the Juno in midi to control settings….

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think the problem is that the performances use multiple MIDI channels while the Juno transmits on only one at a time.

My workaround was to always record the MIDI on one voice, then copy and paste the track to multiple tracks for playback.

The only real problem with this is that the FX settings are lost in the translation and voices need retuning and adjustment of the FX in DAW mode.

Roland really designed this as a performance instrument so they skimped on the MIDI functionality so as not to compete with the FA workstations.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question