Roland E-09 qs and PSR-E403 comparison.

Reaction score
Right, Ive been playing for about five years now and Im into jazz, rock, and many other styles. I have not had a keyboard before (i usually play on a normal piano), but we have many keyboards at school and I realsied what they can do. Im thinking of getting my first keyboard around december this year, and i was hoping for one under about £280 (about $550 US). I have heard that yamahas are extremely reliable, and the PSR-E403 comfortably fits my budget (it costs around £150) with plenty to spare for pedals, stands etc. However, I decided to look around other makes as well, and I came across the Roland E-09. It's a lot more expensive, at around £270, so is it worth the extra cost (£120 more!!)?? Here are some comparisons:

YAMAHA: 32 note polyphony, ~504 sounds, 155x2 styles
ROLAND: 64 note polyphony, ~900 sounds, 130x4 styles

What I did notice was that the Yamaha claimed to have some synth functions; arpeggiator and EQ/Effects. The Roland also has effects, but does it have an arpeggiator? I cant find the info on the net, so this is a question to anyone who has an E-09.

My second question is again to anyone who owns an E-09. On the yamahas i use at school, when you have it in auto-accompaniment mode, you only have to press a note in the bass once, and then it will play in that key. i.e. you can use both hands to play a tune at the top of the keyboard without having to hold the bass note down. When you want to change chord you just press a different note(s) in the bass and you dont have to hold them down. However, on the videos I have seen on the E-09, it looks like you have to hold the bass note down to make it continue to play the chord. Is this true? Or can you can switch between the two modes?

And finally, if anyone owns either of these, can you recommend either one of them/which would you go for?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
up for this. i'm also planning to buy either of the two. please help us in deciding which keyboard to buy. :)

Ask a Question