Roland E09 Keyboard

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if a Roland E09 manufactured today is any different from one manufactured 6 years ago?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Why would you assume it's any different at all?

Undoubtedly the manufacturer has probably subbed out a few parts suppliers over the years but depending on how much turnover they or the dealers have you could still end up with old stock from years ago.

Really, the only way to know for sure would be to open up the case and check the IC's date codes to see when the components were manufactured to even give you a ballpark idea of when any given unit was built.

Or you could ask your question over at http://forums.rolandclan.com/ and maybe someone could clue you in as to when a given particular sequence of serial numbers were manufactured.

Ultimately though, even if there are any differences, they would undoubtedly be bug fixes or firmware updates. Try a google search to see if there were any factory recalls.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually a quick search shows that the E09 is discontinued in the US and Canada.

Whatever you are looking at is surely old stock and suffers the natural ageing process of its component parts.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
excellent point which I should have known but never once thought about for electronics. Big corporations/ chains often buy small resulting in constant new stock just to ease inventory tax. They actually pay considerably more per item to the distributor or manufacturer to buy in smaller quantity to do so. Smaller companies may often be like "who cares, it's new in the box" and they make out buying several years supply.
Yes check date of manufacture for what you want, great idea.

Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify. I'm trying to determine if purchasing a new one today would be better than a second-hand machine 6 years old at half the price. Have more tones or music styles etc been added?

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Big corporations/ chains often buy small resulting in constant new stock just to ease inventory tax.

Not all places have inventory taxes. When we discussed proper levels of inventory (back in school, a long long time ago), the concerns were (a) the money tied up in inventory that could better be used elsewhere, (b) the costs of storing the inventory, and (c) the dangers of inventory becoming obsolete and unsalable. (You can combine (a) and (b) into a fourth factor, interest costs.) Those are the reasons that "just in time" inventory was created. You want your inventory to show up just in time to sell it to someone else. Obviously that's hard to arrange, but there's a strong pressure to keep inventory levels low.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify. I'm trying to determine if purchasing a new one today would be better than a second-hand machine 6 years old at half the price. Have more tones or music styles etc been added?

Actually it depends on a lot of factors, including age, treatment/mistreatment, whether or not the instrument sat in an air conditioned studio for 6 years or whether the Roadies were playing "stair luge" with the case every night for the past 6 years. :eek:

Also given that it is discontinued stock, the dealer should be willing to cut a deal on the "new in the box unit" of at least 30% to 50% just to move it out of his inventory. If this guy is still trying to sell it as a "new" unit for full price then he obviously thinks you just fell off a turnip truck :D

Ultimately it boils down to a judgement call involving too many factors for anyone here to give a black and white answer.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I saw that. I always buy things used if I can because I'm a cheap skate and music does not make any of my income. I figure that I would minimally regret even if there were small additions I missed and maybe by the time that really bothered me, if it did, there would be an entirely better model available for my desires. It's hard to compare perspectives, circumstances, and needs. For me, regret in something like this always seems to be when I buy something new and then see them 5X cheaper on ebay in a couple years.
Until someone comes along with your specific answer, you may be able to find what you are looking for by pics, downloadable user manuals, or physical store display models, while comparing date of manufacture. That was the point I was making, or adding to.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The basic fact is that unless the manufacturer distinguished the two units by a model designation (ie. MKII, SE, PLUS, etc... or what have you...) then any updates made for that model will be available to ALL models of that designation.

One other thing to worry about, however, is whether or not Roland has officially dropped support for the unit.

Also find out if the "new in the box" unit comes with or without the standard warranty?

These are the questions I'd be asking. Not whether or not they've loaded a few more styles into memory. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
playing "stair luge"

Gary ;)
ROFL
I should have been the one to think of something like that since we just got done clearing out my damp barn full of valuable equipment and electronics as well knowing my things to do list includes finding a way to keep mice out of my car in storage. Humidity, drastic temperature changes, sunlight, insects, rodents, and luge dudes.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Best way to keep the mice out of your car is to fill the entire passenger compartment with a two part hardening urethane foam :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have a feeling the mice would make a mini disney matterhorn out of it complete with little luge chutes.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
The basic fact is that unless the manufacturer distinguished the two units by a model designation (ie. MKII, SE, PLUS, etc... or what have you...) then any updates made for that model will be available to ALL models of that designation.

I concur.

An example of this can be found with the Korg Kronos. Although it's still called the Kronos, it's actually on it's third generation. There's the Kronos, the Kronos X, and the Kronos 2. The operating system upgrades have been available to all the units, and most of the new sounds are available for the old units. Even so, Korg does differentiate between the three of them, and doesn't say that they're the same thing. I'd be surprised if there were significant operational differences between two keyboards with identical names.

Ask a Question