Roland Fantom 7 - yes or no.

Reaction score
Thinking of replacing my FA0-7 with a Fantom 7.

Now - dont need a lot of what Fantom offers really, as I have V-Pianos and SN EPs covered in my RD2000 - and my Virus Ti2 and Peak covers analogue filters and great mod matrix possibilities. Also have a Legend EXP for organs.

However there are a few things that it offers (that Kronos/montage dont). Bear in mind Im a live, hardware player - and always want 2 boards - an 88 note weighted and a 73/76 note synth action.

1. 73/76 note semi weighted keybed (which Kronos doesnt do) with aftertouch (which the FA doesnt have - and something I kind of would like).

2. Analogue filter (and modelled Jupiter, Profit and Moog filters as well) - OK Peak and Ti2 do this pretty well between them - but having it on the main board cant hurt.

3. TR style drum patterns. I dont have anything for drum patterns (keep thinking one getting something) - wont use it live but might push me to doing something creative.

4. Multiple arps with programmable patterns (FA only has a single arp and its a pain to program a user pattern - Peak and Virus dont have programmable patterns).

5. The zone control system. The RD has the same and its a joy to use - one button to turn on/off individual sounds - internal or external, with a slider for level. It also has switch groups with is a great live system (FA has this - but it doesnt have zones).

6. Sorts my only real bug bear with the FA for live - you cant change pitch of external sources.... So if im layering my external sources for a song Im kind of stuck where I can put them - and sometimes I need two sources on the same keys. Internal sounds is fine- I can pitch adjust them, but cant do it with external. Fantom DOES do this (the same way the RD does).

7. also real time proper hands on control ()via knobs/buttons or the screen) for synth control. Again I have this on Peak and Ti2 - but again having it on the main board.....

Anyway - its a lot of cash for a few bits Id like, however Ive found a great deal....

Its actually not a shop. I was googling regularly to see what was happening to prices. Generally the Fantom 7 has stabilized across the board at £2725 with the 6 at £2550. I found a couple of ex demo boards going tor £2600 which had me enquiring on there condition - obviously with shops not open it the UK a demo unit is pointless, and if they have no other stock its a way of keeping cash flow going.

UK price to US price is generally the same in £ as US has in $. Pure Exchange rate would have us slightly lower than that BUT we have higher import tax and VAT on top (20%). So generally what you pay in $ we pay in £ give or take.

Then I found a new board even cheaper - AND the seller would consider offers. this got me both interested and worried. Did some background checking - and some two way conversation withe seller. Appears he is a supplier for education normally. Doesnt sell to the general public or have a shop as such. Again our schools/colleges/universities are all closed so he has no sales/trade at present. Consequently he put out some adds to the general public to try and keep some sales coming during lockdown (education at least). With no overheads, and being used to a tighter margin than shops in general - and with no other income he was prepared to go quite low. He doesnt carry stock - its shipped direct from Roland UK and any sale he makes (as long as its not loosing money) is a win for him at present.

So - Made him an offer - he countered and we have an agreed price - providing Roland UK have on on Tuesday (Bank holiday here on Monday - and they had 3 in stock Friday so should be OK).

Price? £2450.......

Really not sure I can NOT get one at that price. Would you US members think again at $2500 for a Fantom 7 ??

Reaction score
I would only buy from a retailer such as Bonners, Andertons, PMT, Music Matter (who are five minutes from where I live) etc.

You have much better buyer support.

Why not give these companies a call and haggle on price?

Reaction score
I know them all. they wont come close lol. Im not worried about support though, Ive dealt with Roland direct a lot (including issues with my RD2000s keybed early on). The only time retailers offer any better is if the product dies within 30 days where they will just replace it rather than having to return it to Roland first. It is something I was concerned about initially - but once i found where his buisiness normally is - and that there new products shipped direct from Roland to the buyer .... that concern went away.

Those retailers will only price match other retailers based in the UK - not direct sellers.

Best price from Andertons/Bonners is £2725... Music Matters do have an ex demo unit for £2600 (again - with no shops open why keep a demo unit. If you have no new ones left in stock its the only way to keep generating income - they can replace it once they open from Rolands stock), but its still a fair way above the deal I have if I want. I suspect they would make a loss at the price Im getting. Instruments sold into the Education sector get a big discount as it is from Roland (special pricing for the reseller) so he doesnt pay as much as normal retailers.

Its probably a little iffy, given its not being sold into education - probably should sell at the price, but hey.

Reaction score
You say Music Matter have a demo unit in stock, well I have probably had a play of it, is a great keyboard and in the large showroom it is surrounded by a Juno 61, an FA 07, an FP30 and a Jupiter at least that is what was there when I was last in the store.

Good luck with your buy.

Reaction score
Got it wrong - Music Matters have non in stock, and advertise £2725 - same as the rest.

Its Absolute Music with the Demo unit.

Ask a Question