roland fantom x

Reaction score
Hi!

Im looking at buying a roland fantom x and wondered if anyone could comment on the organ sounds - in particular the hammond ones - are they any good??! :)

Reaction score
Hi!

Im looking at buying a roland fantom x and wondered if anyone could comment on the organ sounds - in particular the hammond ones - are they any good??! :)

My opinion only, but I think the Fantom X organs are very weak out of the box. I'm sure they can be tweeked. The organ sounds from my Korg and even Yamaha Motif are better out of the box, but I still have to tweek to taste.

Go to the store and try them out side by side and then make a decide :)

Reaction score
i never tried the fantom myself, but what i've heard everything BSR said is true... The fantom can't match other brand's flagship workstations like the triton or the motif series...

To make it even worse, the new fantom G doesn't even have a full sampling option... how crazy people in Roland are anyway!??

Good thing it has a huuuge color display and a mouse to click on it... very useful while live on stage.... NOT

Reaction score
lol cheers for the info - cant see myself clicking a mouse on stage somehow!

I would be looking for a hammond overdrive type sound - hopefully the synth can generate that type with some tweaking :)

Reaction score
lol cheers for the info - cant see myself clicking a mouse on stage somehow!

I would be looking for a hammond overdrive type sound - hopefully the synth can generate that type with some tweaking :)

hehe... almost every workstation can do that (more or less effective).
Just play with distorsion and overdrive effects

KMK

Reaction score
The organ sounds are marginal at best, but that is not what the problem is. The Leslie simulator is horrible. I have a Fantom X6 as well as a Motif ES and XS. The ES has a similar problem although a couple of soundsets sold on Motifator.com make it tolerable. The XS, however, in my opinion really emulates the Hammond and Leslie sound although you still have to consider that is a replication.

Reaction score
'

As the owner of a Roland fantom FA76 I can endorse the above comments - if organ
sounds are of significant importance to you, then look elsewhere.

Roland do make a dedicated 'Hammond replica' (VK-8 + also an add-on module VK-8M)
that provide much better organ sounds, but at a price: close on £1500 for the
keyboard version and about £850 for the module.

For that money you get organ sounds only - so if you're after other voices, which
I assume you are by looking at the Fantom, my advice would be to forget about that
and try out other manufacturers.

You don't say how much cash you are prepared to fork out, but (as with most things)
generally speaking you get what you pay for!

Good luck.

Reaction score
I've played around with a Fantom X8 that my church bought last year. The organ patches were terrible in my opinion. They had a special "VK8 4 speed Lesly" patch that does what the name says, a slightly overdriven VK 8 with a Lesly, except you have no control over the Lesly speed or amount. One minute it's really slow, the next it jumps to a really fast warble. All the rest of the patches were utterly useless.

Reaction score
I've got the Jon Lord srx card and there are a couple of nice organs on that. Go to rolands site to demo them. Also ultimate keys srx card has some more organ sounds

Ask a Question