Roland FP-1 parts

Reaction score
I have an old Roland FP-1 electric piano. I spoke to Roland and they do not carry that part(Transformer).
I am in the GTA(Toronto area). Does anyone know where I can get a replacement transformer for this keyboard.
It's crazy to throw it out just because of one part dying.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hey Gary, thanks for the quick reply.
You wouldn't happen to know where I could get a service manual. I was thinking of getting a "wall wart" transformer
and by passing the bridge rectifier. I just need to know the volts that it's looking for.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Your resources are the same as mine. If you google for a service manual pdf maybe you'll get lucky :)

Actually all you'd really need is a good schematic to get the voltages.

If it's a multi-tap transformer then chances are there are multiple DC voltages in there anyway. In all likelihood at least a +/- 5 and +/-12 or +/-15 I'd imagine if it's standard logic circuitry.

You'd have a tough time setting that up with a wall wart.

Actually if you really want to know what voltages are in there just pull the part numbers off of the Voltage Regulators in there. They're prolly 78XX series where the XX is the voltage.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey Gary, I took out the fried transformer and bridge rectifier and mounted a jack on the back of the keyboard for an external transformer/power supply rated at 1 amp. It seems to be working.
Thanks for your interest.
Joe

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sounds like you had some luck on your side.

Glad to hear that it's working for ya.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hey Gary,
Do you happen to know if the output jacks for "line out" on the FP-1 are balanced or unbalanced?
The user manual doesn't specify and I haven't had any luck finding a schematic or service manual for the unit.
Thanks,
Joe

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you have it open already easy way to tell is to look at the output jacks themselves.

Unbalanced jacks will have two or four solder lugs on them while TRS or balanced jacks will have three or six lugs soldered to the main board.

Either way, plugging a balanced cable into an unbalanced jack won't cause any harm and neither will vice versa.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if the user manual doesn't specifically mention that the jacks are balanced you can pretty much assume they are unbalanced.

It's not like Roland to miss bragging rights on a detail like that.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hey Gary, I took out the fried transformer and bridge rectifier and mounted a jack on the back of the keyboard for an external transformer/power supply rated at 1 amp. It seems to be working.
Joe

Hi, I have a similar power problem with my FP1. The LED' s don't switch on and the piano doesn't work. I have measured voltage on internal transformer and on the output I have 14.2 VAC. I think the bridge rectifier is faulty. What power supply have you used for replacement? What voltage do you have on power supply output? Have you found FP1 circuit schematic?

Thanks
Marek

Reaction score
Joe
What kind of transformer did you use? specs? thanks...

Reaction score
I have a few sheets attached w voltage requirements...looks like 12 volts and 5 volts

Attachments

• Troubleshooting flow.pdf
    254.6 KB · Views: 298
  • Circuit.pdf
    529.4 KB · Views: 311

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If it's a large file with many pages I'd suggest sharing it on a Google Drive page with a link to it in here.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question