Roland FP-30, A4 key louder

Reaction score
Just purchased the FP-30 and love it. I am a professional pianist. The one thing that bothers me is the key A4 above middle C. The keyboard Touch is set to Medium.
When I play a passage at an equal, mild velocity, this key/note will jump out in volume as though I were striking it harder. It can sound softer if I play softer but the slightest increase will send this single note into a louder sound than all other notes around them that I am playing.

To test it further, I transposed the keyboard 5 steps down and it still jumps on the A4 key (though the pitch is no longer A).

I can live with it but I just thought I would ask if anyone else hears it in their FP-30.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This is probably a manufacturer's defect. I would return it for an exchange if it's still under the 30 day return warranty. Otherwise it will have to go back to the factory or an authorized repair center to fix the problem.

Gary ;)

Ad

Advertisements

tjw

Reaction score
Interesting..... I would like to know if you observe this if the sound output of the keyboard is played through a different amplifier and speaker set ? Perhaps headphones ?

I'm academically interested and hope this might reveal something correctable for you. It's a "hard problem" to design a keyboard which provides resonance damping at all key frequencies. I'm guessing the A4 "jumps out" because of a resonance in the speakers, cabinetry, and the reflections of sound imposed by the internal keyboard components. Roland engineers are top drawer, but this is a formidable challenge, especially to render equality over a large product line.

This could also be an inherent room resonance, that's why I was interested to know if headphones also showed the unequal loudness.

Someone may indeed have an FP-30 and could provide observations. Best wishes

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Typically on velocity sensitive keyboards a significantly louder or significantly quieter key is a defect in one of the two velocity sensors in each key.

If the board is brand new it's conceivable it's a factory defect.

On older boards this occasionally happens when one of the sensors gums up with crud.

If this is a noticeable and consistent jump in volume for a single key, I stand by my recommendation that the original poster return the board for exchange or repair as the case may be.

Gary ;)

Ad

Advertisements

tjw

Reaction score
@happyrat1 gave me an idea..... if you record the MIDI output, does the MIDI file show higher velocities on A4 ?

Ask a Question