Roland FP series or A88 midi controller

Reaction score
Hello friends! So I got some dilemma about purchasing weighted keyboard. Primarily I'm looking for a nice keyboard feel (I'm pianist), I'll be using keyboard mainly as a controller, and I was focusing on A88, but since this new FP series came out, and has inbuilt sounds, I was wondering how different it is from A88 in terms of velocity, keybed and feel overall. A guy from a music store told me that the A88 has the best velocity of all midi controllers. Does anybody have any information about this, which is better solution for me etc.

Reaction score
It's subjective, but I've never liked Roland's Ivory Feel G, I think it feels sluggish. I think the current FPs will all feel better. But I'd probably pick the Studiologic SL88 Grand anyway. If your budget is lower, maybe also look at the Studiologic SL88 Studio or the Casios.

Reaction score
Actually I've tried studiologic grand and it didn't feel like a piano to me at all, they claim that the keys are wooden, but actually they are plastic with kinda wooden sides, not a real wood. It's subjective also, but it doesn't feel like a real upright or grand at all to me, maybe because I don't like fatar action. But I'm interested in FP 10 or 30, or A88 also. Has anyone tried using FP's as a midi controller? So feel free to express your opinion for everything you have in mind

Last edited:
Reaction score
A88 has basically the same kind of action as Juno DS88 and FA-08. I think the FP10/30 would be better, or at least less sluggish. But different people are sensitive to different "flaws."

Ask a Question