Roland Juno DS-61 Questions

Reaction score
Hello! Tomorrow, I'm picking up a used DS-61 and I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answers to, so if any of you could help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated!

1. Layering: I want to layer 5-10 layers at a time, and I saw that you can control the volume in the performance settings. Is there a way to use the faders to control the volume(s) instead of the cursor buttons and jog wheel? If so, I assume there'd be a way to change which patch or set of patches the faders are controlling. In a live situation (where this will mainly be used), I don't want to have to go through each patch one by one using the buttons and wheel.

2. MIDI: If I want to use this as a master keyboard with my Yamaha MO8, would I be able to control the patches in a performance of the DS61 with that? (I apologize if that's something I would have to research about the Yamaha specifically. As you ay be able to tell from my question, I don't have any experience connecting 2 keyboards over MIDI).

I'm sorry if these questions weren't specific enough or anything, but as I said, I'd appreciate any help that you could give a beginner

Reaction score
1. Layering: I want to layer 5-10 layers at a time, and I saw that you can control the volume in the performance settings. Is there a way to use the faders to control the volume(s) instead of the cursor buttons and jog wheel? If so, I assume there'd be a way to change which patch or set of patches the faders are controlling. In a live situation (where this will mainly be used), I don't want to have to go through each patch one by one using the buttons and wheel.
The sliders are locked to parts 1 and 2 only (with the other two locked to their other functions). However, you can use the 4 knobs up top to control the volume of whatever parts you'd like. They can be switched to control the volumes for parts 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, or 13-16.

2. MIDI: If I want to use this as a master keyboard with my Yamaha MO8, would I be able to control the patches in a performance of the DS61 with that?
That's a little confusing... if you want to "use this {Juno DS} as a master keyboard," that means it would be controlling the patches of the Yamaha. But if you want the Yamaha "to control patches in a performance of the DS61," then you want the Yamaha to be the master keyboard.

But either way you want to do it, the MO8 and the DS61 both have the abilility to trigger sounds that reside in the other (by enabling transmission on the desired MIDI channels), the MO8 even has a separate 4-zone "Master" function which can be used for triggering external sounds. But I'm not sure about these boards' ability to send patch changes. They both have some ability to send MIDI Program Change, but the documentation is unclear about the particulars, on both instruments. But if you can be a little more clear about exactly what you're trying to do, maybe someone else here will have a better answer here.

Reaction score
The sliders are locked to parts 1 and 2 only (with the other two locked to their other functions). However, you can use the 4 knobs up top to control the volume of whatever parts you'd like. They can be switched to control the volumes for parts 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, or 13-16.

That's a little confusing... if you want to "use this {Juno DS} as a master keyboard," that means it would be controlling the patches of the Yamaha. But if you want the Yamaha "to control patches in a performance of the DS61," then you want the Yamaha to be the master keyboard.

But either way you want to do it, the MO8 and the DS61 both have the abilility to trigger sounds that reside in the other (by enabling transmission on the desired MIDI channels), the MO8 even has a separate 4-zone "Master" function which can be used for triggering external sounds. But I'm not sure about these boards' ability to send patch changes. They both have some ability to send MIDI Program Change, but the documentation is unclear about the particulars, on both instruments. But if you can be a little more clear about exactly what you're trying to do, maybe someone else here will have a better answer here.
Thanks for your response, it was very helpful!! And yes my apologies, based on your explanation, I meant to say I want the Yamaha to be the master keyboard. I was just looking to find out if the faders on the Yamaha had the ability to control the DS61 (which you already were able to explain, thank you), as well as if the Yamaha had the ability to change a patch or performance of the DS61. I’d like to use some of the Yamaha sounds in conjunction with the Roland sounds, so I just wanted to see if I can quickly change the patches/performances of both boards in between songs using just the Yamaha. (If this does not effectively explain my intentions, my apologies again)

Whether someone else is able to answer or not, thanks for helping me out so quickly and being able to interpret what I was asking!

Reaction score
I was just looking to find out if the faders on the Yamaha had the ability to control the DS61 (which you already were able to explain, thank you),
Yes... I didn't address that directly (I was talking about the Roland's faders and knobs, not the Yamaha's), but yes, using the Master function in the Yamaha, the four sliders can address the four zones, and the four zones can be set up to be four of your Roland sounds, triggered from the Yamaha (while you can still be playing other Roland sounds on the Roland itself, if desired).

Reaction score
Yes... I didn't address that directly (I was talking about the Roland's faders and knobs, not the Yamaha's), but yes, using the Master function in the Yamaha, the four sliders can address the four zones, and the four zones can be set up to be four of your Roland sounds, triggered from the Yamaha (while you can still be playing other Roland sounds on the Roland itself, if desired).
Oh okay, understood. Thanks again for your clarification and assistance!

Ask a Question