Roland JUNO DS-88 driver not installing

Reaction score
I bought a juno ds knowing that I could use it as a midi controller. However, I cant seem to install/download the driver needed. From the website, it says that all I need is just plug in the synth with a usb midi connector (I use my printer cable for this one) but it wont seem to install to my windows 10 laptop. I've followed every step needed, including changing the settings into VENDER. Any help?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Roland's website says you should connect to either a USB 2 port or a USB 3 port that's compatible with USB 2, so I assume that the USB cable must be USB 2 rather than USB 3. What version of USB cable are you using, and what version of USB port does your laptop have?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sometimes there are too many USB devices already registered with Windows 10 to add another one. I've run into this problem in the past with a couple of firmware updates.

Sometimes there's a feature built into the software that can remove a couple of the conflicting devices.

Personally I just think it's lazy windows programmers. :p

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I don't remember if it's Roland or Korg, but one of those two companies (I want to say Korg) has a USB-MIDI driver installation program that shows all USB-MIDI devices which have been installed (i.e., set up) on all USB ports.

The thing is, if you connect a USB device to a USB port and the system adds Windows Registry entries for it (i.e., sets it up), but then you connect that same USB device to a different USB port, the system will add more Windows Registry entries for it. I don't pretend to understand the details, but it has something to do with the fact that each USB drive has its own identity within the system. Furthermore, the entries will be left in the Windows Registry-- as opposed to being automatically deleted if you disconnect the USB device-- so the system doesn't have to set up the device each time you connect it to a USB port.

Anyway, there's a limit to how many MIDI ports can be used at the same time in Windows; I don't know whether or not this is also true of macOS, iOS, Linux, etc. If your Windows machine has multiple USB ports, and/or if you've connected several different USB-MIDI devices to those USB ports, the system can think that you've already set up the maximum number of MIDI ports, even if all or most of those MIDI ports aren't currently connected and in use. So the Korg(?) driver utility will show you all of the MIDI ports which have been set up in the system and let you delete any that you no longer need, thereby freeing up slots so you can set up new MIDI ports.

By the way, a single MIDI device might be counted more than once, because each MIDI IN port and each MIDI OUT port is counted separately. The limit is 10 MIDI IN ports and 10 MIDI OUT ports. So if you have a keyboard that has 2 MIDI IN ports (A and B) and 2 MIDI OUT ports (A and B), it would use up 4 slots in all-- 2 of the 10 MIDI IN slots, and 2 of the 10 MIDI OUT slots.

On the other hand, some types of MIDI devices might count only once, either as a single MIDI IN port or as a single MIDI OUT port. For example, a MIDI controller might have a single MIDI OUT port but no MIDI IN port, so it would use up 1 MIDI IN slot (since its MIDI OUT would be seen as a MIDI IN from the computer's perspective). In contrast, a MIDI sound module might have a single MIDI IN port but no MIDI OUT port, so it would use up 1 MIDI OUT slot (since its MIDI IN would be seen as a MIDI OUT from the computer's perspective).

Also, the Windows OS includes a built-in MIDI soft synth (the GS Wavetable soft synth) so you can play back MIDI files by double-clicking them, and it uses up 1 of the 10 available MIDI OUT ports. Thus, you can actually set up only 9 additional MIDI OUT ports-- unless you remove that built-in soft synth.

However, I would tend to doubt that any of this is relevant to the OP's specific problem, since I would assume that they haven't connected enough USB-MIDI devices to the laptop to have used up the 10 available MIDI IN slots.

Addendum-- That Korg(?) driver utility can be used to remove old MIDI devices from the system regardless of what brand keyboard you've got.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Roland's website says you should connect to either a USB 2 port or a USB 3 port that's compatible with USB 2, so I assume that the USB cable must be USB 2 rather than USB 3. What version of USB cable are you using, and what version of USB port does your laptop have?
Im using a microsoft surface pro 4 with what I believe is a USB 3.0. Regarding of the cable, I haven't check whether or not it is USB 2. But the thing is, when i plug it in, it registers that I have a new device. It just doesn't recognize it. Worst case is that the cable i've been using is USB 3, but if that was the case wouldn't my laptop not recognize any device plugged in?

Reaction score
I don't remember if it's Roland or Korg, but one of those two companies (I want to say Korg) has a USB-MIDI driver installation program that shows all USB-MIDI devices which have been installed (i.e., set up) on all USB ports.

The thing is, if you connect a USB device to a USB port and the system adds Windows Registry entries for it (i.e., sets it up), but then you connect that same USB device to a different USB port, the system will add more Windows Registry entries for it. I don't pretend to understand the details, but it has something to do with the fact that each USB drive has its own identity within the system. Furthermore, the entries will be left in the Windows Registry-- as opposed to being automatically deleted if you disconnect the USB device-- so the system doesn't have to set up the device each time you connect it to a USB port.

Anyway, there's a limit to how many MIDI ports can be used at the same time in Windows; I don't know whether or not this is also true of macOS, iOS, Linux, etc. If your Windows machine has multiple USB ports, and/or if you've connected several different USB-MIDI devices to those USB ports, the system can think that you've already set up the maximum number of MIDI ports, even if all or most of those MIDI ports aren't currently connected and in use. So the Korg(?) driver utility will show you all of the MIDI ports which have been set up in the system and let you delete any that you no longer need, thereby freeing up slots so you can set up new MIDI ports.

By the way, a single MIDI device might be counted more than once, because each MIDI IN port and each MIDI OUT port is counted separately. The limit is 10 MIDI IN ports and 10 MIDI OUT ports. So if you have a keyboard that has 2 MIDI IN ports (A and B) and 2 MIDI OUT ports (A and B), it would use up 4 slots in all-- 2 of the 10 MIDI IN slots, and 2 of the 10 MIDI OUT slots.

On the other hand, some types of MIDI devices might count only once, either as a single MIDI IN port or as a single MIDI OUT port. For example, a MIDI controller might have a single MIDI OUT port but no MIDI IN port, so it would use up 1 MIDI IN slot (since its MIDI OUT would be seen as a MIDI IN from the computer's perspective). In contrast, a MIDI sound module might have a single MIDI IN port but no MIDI OUT port, so it would use up 1 MIDI OUT slot (since its MIDI IN would be seen as a MIDI OUT from the computer's perspective).

Also, the Windows OS includes a built-in MIDI soft synth (the GS Wavetable soft synth) so you can play back MIDI files by double-clicking them, and it uses up 1 of the 10 available MIDI OUT ports. Thus, you can actually set up only 9 additional MIDI OUT ports-- unless you remove that built-in soft synth.

However, I would tend to doubt that any of this is relevant to the OP's specific problem, since I would assume that they haven't connected enough USB-MIDI devices to the laptop to have used up the 10 available MIDI IN slots.

Addendum-- That Korg(?) driver utility can be used to remove old MIDI devices from the system regardless of what brand keyboard you've got.
But the thing is i only have 1 USB port and so far I've only connected one USB-MIDI device, my JUNODS. However, I'll still try checking out the driver utility Korg has.

Reaction score
Sometimes there are too many USB devices already registered with Windows 10 to add another one. I've run into this problem in the past with a couple of firmware updates.

Sometimes there's a feature built into the software that can remove a couple of the conflicting devices.

Personally I just think it's lazy windows programmers. :p

Gary ;)
Is there anyway to check out the USB devices I've registered and whether or not I reach the maximum limit?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
As I said at the end of my lengthy response to what Gary/@happyrat1 said, I doubt that that's the problem.

The fact that your Surface Pro can detect that some kind of new USB device has been connected doesn't mean that the USB cable is probably a USB 2 cable.

The important thing is whether or not the Surface Pro (or computer, laptop, etc.) can correctly understand the data coming from that device and can in turn respond with data that the device can correctly understand.

I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of this subject is of questionable veracity, but one of the big differences between USB 2 and USB 3 is the rate of data transmission. If the Juno-DS transmits its data at USB 2 speeds and is expecting to receive data back at USB 2 speeds, but the Surface Pro is expecting to receive data at USB 3 speeds and thinks it's okay to send data at USB 3 speeds, then the two devices are going to have trouble communicating successfully with each other.

Reaction score
As I said at the end of my lengthy response to what Gary/@happyrat1 said, I doubt that that's the problem.

The fact that your Surface Pro can detect that some kind of new USB device has been connected doesn't mean that the USB cable is probably a USB 2 cable.

The important thing is whether or not the Surface Pro (or computer, laptop, etc.) can correctly understand the data coming from that device and can in turn respond with data that the device can correctly understand.

I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of this subject is of questionable veracity, but one of the big differences between USB 2 and USB 3 is the rate of data transmission. If the Juno-DS transmits its data at USB 2 speeds and is expecting to receive data back at USB 2 speeds, but the Surface Pro is expecting to receive data at USB 3 speeds and thinks it's okay to send data at USB 3 speeds, then the two devices are going to have trouble communicating successfully with each other.
Ah i see, sorry for my limited knowledge about this. So the reason to why it isn't working properly is because if exceeded the maximum of MIDI registered in the system? =

Reaction score
I've downloaded the Korg uninstall usb-midi device, it shows that i have 9 ports and I've used up only 1. Then I would like to think that this isnt the problem

Reaction score
I ran into that problem too. Here's how i I found the solution: I used to disable the Windows Update Service since it made my laptop veeery slow, once i restarted WUS and after a few system downloads my laptop recognized my juno ds61. You may disable wus again once you're done.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If it's any help at all I run Win 10 in virtualbox with a Linux host machine and it had no problems installing the Roland Driver and Patch Librarian. I may have had to disable the virus scanner I use though. That may be the problem.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just reread the entire thread and suddenly noticed that you are trying to install the driver on an M$ Surface device, not a regular laptop or desktop.

In that case the driver may not even be compatible with Surface devices. Only Win and Mac OSes.

Contact Roland support for clarification.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hoping there is some new info on this topic. When I try to download and install the USB driver for the JUNO DS-88, the driver simply will not install correctly. The Windows 10 machine just seems to go into and endless loop. I can watch the Device Manager\Sound, Video, and Game Controllers change back and forth as the loop continues on without end. Once or twice I even see Juno DS pop up in the list, but then it goes away again as this weird loop just keeps running.

And, when I have the USB cable plugged into the DS-88 and power it up, the DS-88 gives me a message: "You connected a USB cable. Go to DAW Control Menu?" with two options I can choose: "cancel" or "OK". The problem is that it absolutely will not let me "cancel", but continues to pop up this same message.

Meanwhile the bells continue ringing softly in the background on my Windows 10 machine whenever the DS-88 is connected to the computer.

I am stumped.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I wish I could advise you about this but my DS88 is hooked up to a Linux box, which, while it has it's own problems, most of them I've found workarounds for.

One thing I might offer as a suggestion though, is to completely uninstall the Roland driver and then with the keyboard disconnected, run a registry cleaner program on your machine, THEN reinstall the drivers according to the factory directions.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I wish I could advise you about this but my DS88 is hooked up to a Linux box, which, while it has it's own problems, most of them I've found workarounds for.

One thing I might offer as a suggestion though, is to completely uninstall the Roland driver and then with the keyboard disconnected, run a registry cleaner program on your machine, THEN reinstall the drivers according to the factory directions.

Gary ;)
Thanks much, Gary. I'll give that a try and get back.

Ask a Question