Roland Juno DS 88

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purchased the Juno DS 88 and wondered if they are prone to overheating? I played it outside for the first time yesterday (warm day) and it kept cutting out before shutting down completely. Works fine in the house today but obviously concerened if this is a common fault. Would anyone be able to advise. Many thanks David

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster, longtime lurker. I had this happen to me 1x due to heat last summer. Take a small fan with you to your gig, direct it towards the keyboard near where the adapter plugs in, it should keep it cool.

I've also noticed that if the AC cord from wall to transformer is not pushed all the way into the transformer, my ds88 will randomly shut down. But all in all, fantastic keyboard, good luck!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It depends on how hot your environment is to begin with. Excessive heat is not a problem here in Canada 8 months out of the year.

In the summer though, electronics starts to go flaky above 85 F or 28 C.

It's a good suggestion to add additional cooling at these temperatures and above.

Internally the chips can get very hot and generally start to fail at around 150 - 160 C

Definitely make an effort to avoid direct sunlight and outdoor venues above 90 F.

At that point additional cooling is a MUST!!!

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster, longtime lurker. I had this happen to me 1x due to heat last summer. Take a small fan with you to your gig, direct it towards the keyboard near where the adapter plugs in, it should keep it cool.

I've also noticed that if the AC cord from wall to transformer is not pushed all the way into the transformer, my ds88 will randomly shut down. But all in all, fantastic keyboard, good luck!
Many thanks for the advice and I'll follow your advice

Reaction score
It depends on how hot your environment is to begin with. Excessive heat is not a problem here in Canada 8 months out of the year.

In the summer though, electronics starts to go flaky above 85 F or 28 C.

It's a good suggestion to add additional cooling at these temperatures and above.

Internally the chips can get very hot and generally start to fail at around 150 - 160 C

Definitely make an effort to avoid direct sunlight and outdoor venues above 90 F.

At that point additional cooling is a MUST!!!

Gary ;)
Hi, many thanks for your feedback. Just frustrating that this was the time playing outdoors with this keyboard and had to replace it with inferior keyboard which worked perfectly.... Many thanks for the advice which I will follow

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My Juno DS88 sits under a dark cover in front of an east facing plate glass window every single day for the past 2 years.

It's never failed me once but my apartment is air conditioned in the summer and the temp never goes above 27 F.

It's possible that the power supply brick on your unit is below spec or on it's way out.

At 20 C in shade it should not be cutting out unless it's beginning to fail.

I'd advise contacting Roland if it's still under warranty and demand that they ship you a new power supply before it fails and blows out the entire board.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
My Juno DS88 sits under a dark cover in front of an east facing plate glass window every single day for the past 2 years.

It's never failed me once but my apartment is air conditioned in the summer and the temp never goes above 27 F.

It's possible that the power supply brick on your unit is below spec or on it's way out.

At 20 C in shade it should not be cutting out unless it's beginning to fail.

I'd advise contacting Roland if it's still under warranty and demand that they ship you a new power supply before it fails and blows out the entire board.

Gary ;)
Hi Gary, many thanks for your feedback and yes I'll contact Roland.... I only bought this in Feb so yes I'll get onto Roland to explain. Many thanks and best regards
David

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One other tip to extend the life of your power supply. Unplug it or use a switchable power bar to turn off the juice completely when not in use. Otherwise it can still heat up constantly and never cool down. Will shorten the lifespan in the long run.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Great advice from Gary.

I have mine tie wrapped to the leg of the keyboard stand.

It is not just a power strip from a DIY store it includes surge arresting and power conditioning circuits and components within the power bar itself.

If there is a fault on the power supply this power strip will protect the devices attached. Spikes and transients within the power supply can fry circuits very easily.

As it happens the power supply company that supplies my home had a cable fault develop in my neighbours garden and the equipment I had connected to the electricity mains had the electronics fried, including the washing machine, clock radio, microwave and my kitchen radio. Luckily the rest of my kit had protection and hence survived the fault. Many of my neighbours had much more problems than I did, the local TV stores also did quite well out of it.

B11224D9-D32E-4D04-B5D6-813DD2EE8E79.jpeg

Ask a Question