Roland Juno ds61 problem

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

About a month ago i bought a Roland Juno ds 61 and after a few weeks noticed a strange sound when I hit certain keys harder. It happens under the piano settings and it sounds like a normal piano except when certain keys are hit a little bit hard it sounds like a bell that we heard in grammar school mixed in with the piano. I have plenty of time to return it for a new model or a trade in at guitar center.

I am a simple player who just likes to plug in and play and just wants the best piano, organ, electic piano and peraps clav sounds I can get. In other words I don't care about much else other than having those 4 sounds and having them sound great. I also love 61 keys and non-weighted.

It was recommended that I upgrade to the Roland Combo Organ (VR-09 V) as apparently this has better sounds on those 4 that I listed above but the tradeoff is less depth on synth sounds which I do not mind at all. Does that sound accurate or is the GC salesguy just trying to up any commission he might make? The combo organ is only $200 higher than the Juno.

Any thoughts anyone can add to this?

Thanks,
Chuck.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I own a DS61. Which notes and which piano voices does this occur on? I will try and duplicate it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gary.

It is most audible on the lowest C sharp but it also occurs on other keys in the same frequency neighborhood. It happens on setting 1 for grand piano and also on the rock piano which i think is setting 2. I think it also happens under some of the other brighter piano settings too. We did not notice this sound the first two weeks after I purchased the keyboard (was purchased new not used and from Guitar Center).

Have you used the organ settings much on this? I try to get closer to a hammond sound but the percussive organ tones are far from it although they are not bad.

Thanks again.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just tested it out on mine. Same result with those pianos on all the sharps of the lowest octave.

Might be a firmware bug. It also might be an intentional modelling artifact intended to resemble string resonance.

Personally though I use mine in performance mode with layered settings or in the studio for multitrack recording. Mostly leads and synths and pads and organs and strings and woodwinds.

I get a pretty decent organ with Ky:007 Full Stop layered with Orchestral Oc:S07 Film Octaves

Also in the pianos, PF:001 88 Stage Grand does not exhibit the bell like resonance you mention.

If you can learn to work with that particular piano it may suit your playing style better. Likewise there may be other pianos that do not exhibit this behaviour. Lord knows there's a lot of them.

All in all, throwing the baby out with the bathwater because of one or two unwanted voices seems a bit extreme.

Likewise spending an extra $200 on a unit which may or may not exhibit the same behaviour seems iffy at best.

I'd suggest playing around with all the voices and finding which ones suit you best and which ones aggravate you the most and reserve your judgement until the window for returns narrows to a few days.

At the very least, you owe it a fair trial.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for checking into this, it is good to know that it is not unique to only my keyboard.

Yes, I really like this keyboard alot, and it does suit my needs for now, so I agree with you in waiting a few weeks to make a decision.

I played bass for the last 3 years in two different bands and got so used to all the non-musical noises that come along with it (finger squeek on strings, fret buzz, strings smacking on frets, strings ringing out, tones that were not that great, etc..). So when I switched back to keys a few months ago and quit bass it was like heaven as all those non-musical noises mentioned were gone and the tones were divine sounding. On top of that the ability to play bass line, chords, and melody was simply an awesome feeling. So to be honest the bell like noise does not really bother at all, in fact it was my Jazz Drummer friend who noticed it initially as he has an ear sharper than well tuned canine.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

About a month ago i bought a Roland Juno ds 61 and after a few weeks noticed a strange sound when I hit certain keys harder. It happens under the piano settings and it sounds like a normal piano except when certain keys are hit a little bit hard it sounds like a bell that we heard in grammar school mixed in with the piano. I have plenty of time to return it for a new model or a trade in at guitar center.

I am a simple player who just likes to plug in and play and just wants the best piano, organ, electic piano and peraps clav sounds I can get. In other words I don't care about much else other than having those 4 sounds and having them sound great. I also love 61 keys and non-weighted.

It was recommended that I upgrade to the Roland Combo Organ (VR-09 V) as apparently this has better sounds on those 4 that I listed above but the tradeoff is less depth on synth sounds which I do not mind at all. Does that sound accurate or is the GC salesguy just trying to up any commission he might make? The combo organ is only $200 higher than the Juno.

Thanks,
Chuck.
I'm new to this forum so I m extremely late with my reply. I've been having similar issues with my DS88 A factory reset fixes the problem temporarily but I've had to do that too frequently. Still within warranty so I'm going to take it to a nearby service center. Anyone else have these issues how were they resolved?
Thanks Lewis Lott

Reaction score
There is no excuse from Roland, it is not as though the Juno DS is a new model.

It is one reasen why I did not buy the Juno, its been around for a while whereas the Kross 2 is only 6 months old.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Chuck.

Hi Chuck
I have a similar problem with my JUNO DS 76, have owned it for a couple of months, very disappointed with the piano with the "extra noise".
What happened with your JUNO DS, problem solved?
/Tomas

Reaction score
I am having a similar issue. Had the Juno DS61 for almost exactly one year now. No matter the sound I choose, I seem to get a combination of notes and additional sounds when hitting certain keys. I did a factory reset and that did not fix it. Any ideas? Is there a way to post a video here?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There hasn't been a firmware update since March 2020. If you are running v 2.11 then don't expect any more support from Roland.

We're pretty much stuck with it as it is.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Is there a way to post a video here?
You can post a video on youtube (as an "unlisted" video if you don't intend it for general public consumption), and then link to it in a post using the icon to the right of the smiley face in the tool bar at the top of the message text box.

Reaction score
Just uploaded a video to YouTube showing the issue I am having with my Roland JunoDS61.....

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Check without the Kaos Pad and computer hooked up.

I don't think the problem is with your particular configuration.

Try with just the Juno and speakers only. Turn the other crap off and disconnect them if necessary,

I think it's some sort of MIDI feedback situation.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Check without the Kaos Pad and computer hooked up.

I don't think the problem is with your particular configuration.

Try with just the Juno and speakers only. Turn the other crap off and disconnect them if necessary,

I think it's some sort of MIDI feedback situation.

Gary ;)
The computer and Kaoss pad were NOT hooked up to the Juno.
The Juno was running by itself. No MIDI, no other cable but to amp.....no external drives either.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try a system reset.

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the latest firmware.

If that doesn't fix it then I'd suggest contacting Roland directly.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I've performed a factory reset twice......sent it off to Sweetwater for authorized Roland repair.....

Reaction score
Well, thought I'd post an update. I got the Juno back from Sweetwater tech back in Sept. 2021.....they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Since then, the synth has behaved pretty well, but I haven't been using it much since I got my PreSonus StudioONE with a Novation Launchkey. Anyway, I turned on the Juno last night to play some Xmas tunes and bam...the issue again. https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT85pmLXC/

Ask a Question