Roland Juno ds61 problem

Discussion in 'General Keyboard Discussion' started by Chuck Harvey, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Chuck Harvey

Chuck Harvey

Hi everyone,

About a month ago i bought a Roland Juno ds 61 and after a few weeks noticed a strange sound when I hit certain keys harder. It happens under the piano settings and it sounds like a normal piano except when certain keys are hit a little bit hard it sounds like a bell that we heard in grammar school mixed in with the piano. I have plenty of time to return it for a new model or a trade in at guitar center.

I am a simple player who just likes to plug in and play and just wants the best piano, organ, electic piano and peraps clav sounds I can get. In other words I don't care about much else other than having those 4 sounds and having them sound great. I also love 61 keys and non-weighted.

It was recommended that I upgrade to the Roland Combo Organ (VR-09 V) as apparently this has better sounds on those 4 that I listed above but the tradeoff is less depth on synth sounds which I do not mind at all. Does that sound accurate or is the GC salesguy just trying to up any commission he might make? The combo organ is only $200 higher than the Juno.

Any thoughts anyone can add to this?

Thanks,
    Chuck.

Chuck Harvey, Jan 6, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Chuck Harvey

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

I own a DS61. Which notes and which piano voices does this occur on? I will try and duplicate it.

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Jan 6, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Chuck Harvey

Chuck Harvey

Thanks Gary.

It is most audible on the lowest C sharp but it also occurs on other keys in the same frequency neighborhood. It happens on setting 1 for grand piano and also on the rock piano which i think is setting 2. I think it also happens under some of the other brighter piano settings too. We did not notice this sound the first two weeks after I purchased the keyboard (was purchased new not used and from Guitar Center).

Have you used the organ settings much on this? I try to get closer to a hammond sound but the percussive organ tones are far from it although they are not bad.

Thanks again.

4. Chuck Harvey

happyrat1 Destroyer of Eardrums!!!

I just tested it out on mine. Same result with those pianos on all the sharps of the lowest octave.

Might be a firmware bug. It also might be an intentional modelling artifact intended to resemble string resonance.

Personally though I use mine in performance mode with layered settings or in the studio for multitrack recording. Mostly leads and synths and pads and organs and strings and woodwinds.

I get a pretty decent organ with Ky:007 Full Stop layered with Orchestral Oc:S07 Film Octaves

Also in the pianos, PF:001 88 Stage Grand does not exhibit the bell like resonance you mention.

If you can learn to work with that particular piano it may suit your playing style better. Likewise there may be other pianos that do not exhibit this behaviour. Lord knows there's a lot of them.

All in all, throwing the baby out with the bathwater because of one or two unwanted voices seems a bit extreme.

Likewise spending an extra $200 on a unit which may or may not exhibit the same behaviour seems iffy at best.

I'd suggest playing around with all the voices and finding which ones suit you best and which ones aggravate you the most and reserve your judgement until the window for returns narrows to a few days.

At the very least, you owe it a fair trial.

Gary ;)

happyrat1, Jan 6, 2017
  5. Chuck Harvey

Chuck Harvey

Thanks for checking into this, it is good to know that it is not unique to only my keyboard.

Yes, I really like this keyboard alot, and it does suit my needs for now, so I agree with you in waiting a few weeks to make a decision.

I played bass for the last 3 years in two different bands and got so used to all the non-musical noises that come along with it (finger squeek on strings, fret buzz, strings smacking on frets, strings ringing out, tones that were not that great, etc..). So when I switched back to keys a few months ago and quit bass it was like heaven as all those non-musical noises mentioned were gone and the tones were divine sounding. On top of that the ability to play bass line, chords, and melody was simply an awesome feeling. So to be honest the bell like noise does not really bother at all, in fact it was my Jazz Drummer friend who noticed it initially as he has an ear sharper than well tuned canine.

happyrat1 likes this.
    1. Advertisements