Roland Juno DS88 question

Reaction score
I have a new Roland Juno DS88. I connected it to my computer (Windows 10 64) using PreSonus Studio One, version 5. I followed the instructions under the Studio One External Devices settings. They see each other (Computer and Juno DS88). However, I cannot use the Juno DS88 as a controller. The keyboard doesn’t play the Studio One sounds. As soon as I replace the Juno DS88 by an M-audio controller, I can play the Studio One sounds with it. Is there something I have overlooked in the Juno DS88? Any setting I am not enabling (or disabling) in the Juno DS88?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hello happyrat1,

Thank you for your feedback. I went to the USB Driver (Juno DS88) and changed it to Generic. The path I followed was MENU>System>MIDI>USB Driver. I still cannot control (play any sound) on Studio One from the Juno keyboard. Did I do something wrong?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Make sure whatever MIDI OUT port is enabled.

Go to MIDI settings, set the channel and enable Tx and Rx, and make sure your software is set to receive and send on the same channel.

Also if you are set to generic driver you should uninstall the Roland driver on your computer if you previously installed it.

There may be other MIDI settings but they are kind of self explanatory. Enable as needed.

Otherwise, you are missing some setting in Presonus that routes the controllers.

Like I said, check your channels and read your manuals.

The answer is somewhere in there.

I think your solution lies in the Presonus configuration.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
@Toby1980, my limited experience with PreSonus Studio One is that you must set up one or more MIDI device templates for your keyboard in it-- one for sending MIDI from the keyboard to the DAW (if you plan to use the keyboard as a controller), and/or one for sending MIDI from the DAW to the keyboard (if you plan to have the DAW play the keyboard). I think there's also a third type of template you can set up (for controlling the DAW's functions with a remote?), but you probably won't need to do that one.

It sounds like you just need to set up a template for sending MIDI from the keyboard to the DAW for what you are trying to do. I forget which type of template that is, but I want to say it's called a "keyboard," as opposed to an "instrument." The way I remember it, you basically just select the type of template you want to set up, select the MIDI port you want to use the template with (which will be named whatever the Roland driver calls the port on the computer), and then select which MIDI channels of that port you want to use. I think I actually used to set up multiple templates, one for each MIDI channel, mostly for convenience to make it easier to select a specific channel of my Yamaha for sending to a specific track in the DAW.

Reaction score
Hello SeaGtGruff,

Thanks for your feedback. I will try that. I am not an expert using all the Studio One settings either, but I will try the templates. The Roland Juno DS88 is a very nice instrument. I like to try and mix different sounds. In essence, I'd like to do both, send MIDI from the keyboard to the DAW, and from the DAW to the keyboard.

I will read the manual :)

Thanks again.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've looked at Studio One, because after my old computer suffered a hard drive crash and I bought a new computer, I never installed all of the DAWs, soft synths, and other virtual instruments that I used to fiddle around with on my new computer. But I'm looking at Studio One's features on the PreSonus website right now, and it looks like they've added a lot of really nice things to it since I last used it. Naturally, the free edition I used to use-- Studio One Prime-- doesn't have all of those cool features, but it's still pretty awesome.

Anyway, I'm looking in the Studio One 6 manual online, and I think you want to follow the instructions under "Set Up Your MIDI Devices" on pages 20 through 25. There might already be a predefined entry for your keyboard, but if not then you can follow the instructions in the "Set Up MIDI Keyboards" section on pages 20 and 21. As mentioned in step 2 of that section, you would choose "New Keyboard" if you need to set up your own configuration for your particular keyboard.

Reaction score
Hi SeaGtGruff,

There are some minor changes in version 6. Most of the good stuff is still in version 5.

It is working now, but I had to do some research. Hope this helps someone else because only my engineering skills helped me get this straight. My guess is that this works for external devices that have built in sounds you want to use with Studio One. The keyboard must be set to external MIDI clock. Studio One had to be the master MIDI clock in all my scenarios.

I think this applies to piano keys, drum machines, or any device that sends MIDI NOTE messages:

1. (MIDI IN to Studio One)

A. I Created a New Keyboard, with the MIDI "Receive From" assigned to the MIDI port the DS88 is connected to, no need to set MIDI "Send To."

B. Didn’t check any of the MIDI filters, I think you only check filters if you want to block certain MIDI message/s.

C. MIDI CC's do not work on this setup.

This must be done for each device so the piano keys/pads can trigger either instruments in Studio One, or to play sounds on the external device (DS88) that has built in sounds. One thing to keep in mind, when you want the DS88 to control instruments in Studio One, you may need to set "local control" off.

2. (Send MIDI OUT of Studio One)

A. To use the built-in Sounds of the DS88, I created a New Instrument with the MIDI "Send To" set to the DS88 MIDI port. I checked all the MIDI clock options. This is so when I add a track in Studio One this track can be set to send MIDI out to the DS88 (or external device.)

B. To use the surface controls (transport, faders, buttons) of the DS88, I used "Create a New Control Surface" with the "MIDI Receive From" feature assigned to the MIDI port the device is connected to. Apparently, this only works for MIDI CC"s.

3. Audio

I connected the DS88 audio outputs to the computer’s audio interface and routed into Studio One, so I can monitor and bounce down audio.

I thought that everything today was plug-and-play. It’s not!

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, my experience with Studio One has been that it does require setting up MIDI templates (if that's the right term; I don't think they use that term themselves) for your MIDI devices, so it isn't "plug-and-play" in the way that some other DAWs are. But some DAWs do require that you set up your MIDI devices, so Studio One isn't exactly an oddball DAW in that regard.

Thank you for the follow-up post describing what you had to do to get it to work. :)

Ask a Question