Roland Juno DS88 ringing noises

Reaction score
I purchased a DS88 about a week ago and I have been noticing some sound quality issues. Initially I thought the problem was just with the piano patches but I just realized that issue is also present on many of the other sounds. The nature of the issue depends on the patch and is not present on all the notes - just certain notes. And the effected note varies depending on the patch. This is why I'm pretty certain the issue is not the keyboard. I attached an example using the default piano sound. On this example when I hit the note in question you can hear a metallic "pinnnng" noise that is not present on the other notes. On another piano patch (forgot name) the same "pinnng" shows up on the previous note and is even louder. On some synth sounds you can hear a ringing noise when you hit one of those bad notes. No difference using headphones or an amplified speaker system. And the louder you crank it up the more you notice it.

I find it hard to believe that this could be normal. While playing when ever I hit one of those notes there is a very noticeable "paannnngg'.

Attachments

• My recording 1.zip
    150.3 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
I purchased a DS88 about a week ago and I have been noticing some sound quality issues. Initially I thought the problem was just with the piano patches but I just realized that issue is also present on many of the other sounds. The nature of the issue depends on the patch and is not present on all the notes - just certain notes. And the effected note varies depending on the patch. This is why I'm pretty certain the issue is not the keyboard. I attached an example using the default piano sound. On this example when I hit the note in question you can hear a metallic "pinnnng" noise that is not present on the other notes. On another piano patch (forgot name) the same "pinnng" shows up on the previous note and is even louder. On some synth sounds you can hear a ringing noise when you hit one of those bad notes. No difference using headphones or an amplified speaker system. And the louder you crank it up the more you notice it.

I find it hard to believe that this could be normal. While playing when ever I hit one of those notes there is a very noticeable "paannnngg'.
Due a hard reset of the keyboard:
  1. Press MENU.
  2. Cursor to "UTILITY" and press ENTER.
  3. Cursor to "FACTORY RESET" and press ENTER.
  4. Cursor to "OK" and press ENTER.
  5. When the reset is completed, power the Juno-DS off and then back on.
If it continues after the reset then it is likely a hardware issue for which you will need a service center. You didn't say if you purchased it new or not, if you did purchase it new and the factory reset doesnt fix it then it would be under warranty. If you purchased it used you might need to contact the seller which is always a dicey venture.

Ask a Question