Roland Juno DS88 "sustain" question

Reaction score
Hi,

KB newbie and just switched from a Yamaha MX88. Still getting to know my DS88 and one thing I'm having a hard time to get used to is that notes seem to die out quicker on my Roland, compared to the Yamaha. I'm using a DP-10 pedal and AFAIK I got it set right, but still. And looking at the pedal menu, I've got it ON and STANDARD.

Any clues ?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
On the Juno DS the four control knobs default to envelope controls so you can adjust Sustain and Release there.

Also some sampled instruments simply do not sustain indefinitely so it depends on how Roland sampled them compared to Yamaha.

Drums and plucked instruments for instance.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi,

KB newbie and just switched from a Yamaha MX88. Still getting to know my DS88 and one thing I'm having a hard time to get used to is that notes seem to die out quicker on my Roland, compared to the Yamaha. I'm using a DP-10 pedal and AFAIK I got it set right, but still. And looking at the pedal menu, I've got it ON and STANDARD.

Any clues ?
We’re you able to set your pedal up to sustain? If so how - I am new and unable to do so on my Juno DS 88. Thanks!

Reaction score
The DS has two jacks for pedals, Control and Hold. The attached picture (taken from the owner's manual)
Screenshot_20200109-203049_Drive.jpg
shows the difference, hope it helps.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I answered this question when he private msged me.

First of all do you have the pedal plugged into the HOLD or the CONTROL jack?

The HOLD jack is for the sustain pedal. The CONTROL Jack is for a Continuous Controller Pedal with a Potentiometer in it like the Roland EV-5.

Secondly. What make and model is your Sustain Pedal.? Does it have switchable polarity.

Roland and Yamaha use the opposite of Korg and Everyone Else.

Check if there's a slide switch on your pedal and try it in either position after a full power cycle without holding it down and then see which position generates a sustain.

There is no menu setting to adjust the HOLD pedal in the Juno DS. It defaults to sustain at all times.

If your pedal is not by Roland or Yamaha and has no polarity switch then I suggest you pick up an M-Audio SP-2. They are very solid pedals with a universal polarity switch and they don't cost a lot of money.

Amazon.com: M-Audio SP-2 | Universal Sustain Pedal with Piano Style Action for Electronic Keyboards: Musical Instruments
Amazon.com: M-Audio SP-2 | Universal Sustain Pedal with Piano Style Action for Electronic Keyboards: Musical Instruments
www.amazon.com

That should get you going.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi,

Any clues ?
I agree. I notice most on piano sounds. I have tried different pedals. I have tried to find a setting to change that prolongs the sustain. I also do not like the poor control of the Leslie effect on organ sounds. I just stick to my Yamaha for organ sounds due to this issue. Have you found a sustain remedy?

Reaction score
The polarity on my ds is opposite of every other keyboard in my collection...few options
1. Change polarity on the sustain pedal itself
2. Change the polarity setting in the ds menu
3. Plug in the sustain pedal after it is fully powered on versus before...stone keyboards will have the reverse function sustain vs dampen depending on when you plug in

Ask a Question