roland mkb1000 set up

Reaction score
Hi guys, just got a roland mkb 1000 and need advice on set up. If any one could be so kind as to walk me through this I would be greatly appreciative, thanks. Ray

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Do you have the owner's manual for it? If not, I found it at the following two places, although it seems to have some blank pages in it, and I can't tell if they're supposed to be blank or if they're missing from the scan:

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/MKB-1000_OM.pdf

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/680165/Roland-Mkb-1000.html

I haven't tried to read it yet. What/how are you trying to set up? Do you have a driver for it? I can't see a driver download for it at Roland's web site, but whichever one of their current drivers applies to your computer (operating system and number of bits) might work with it.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have known that this controller has MIDI DIN ports, so you might not need a specific driver for it, just a MIDI-to-USB interface-- that is, if you're wanting to connect it to your computer and use it with a DAW or virtual instruments. Or are you hoping to connect it to another MIDI instrument or sound module via MIDI cables?

Reaction score
Hi seagtgruff, I want to keep it simple and connect it to my computer only. What type of software do I need to make it work? Thank you for your reply, ray.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
It has no USB-to-Host port, only MIDI ports, so to connect it to your computer you'll need an interface to convert from MIDI to USB.

The least expensive option would be to get a MIDI-to-USB adapter. You might be tempted to go with "the best deal" you can find, meaning the one that costs the least, but be warned-- cheap MIDI-to-USB adapters from obscure companies often turn out to be problematic and a waste of money, so it's almost always better to pay a bit more for a higher-quality adapter from a company with a more well-known name. In fact, it's often best to buy whatever MIDI-to-USB adapter is made by the company who made the keyboard-- in this case, Roland. They make a "UM-ONE MK2 USB MIDI Interface" that costs about $40 from the online music stores.

A more expensive option would be to get a USB audio interface that includes at least one set of MIDI In/Out ports. That could be a good investment if you think you might eventually want to record vocals or acoustic instruments with a professional microphone-- plus, it will probably have a better sound card than your computer's internal sound card.

But if you aren't ready to spring for a decent audio interface with MIDI ports (and be aware that they don't always include MIDI ports), then Roland's UM-ONE MK2 USB MIDI Interface should do the trick as far as getting the MKB-1000 connected to your computer.

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your advice, going to order an adapter now. Will let you know how things turn out, take care.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Yes, keep us updated. Once you've got it connected then the real fun can begin! :)

Do you already have a DAW or other software for virtual instruments? What sorts of sounds are you planning to use with it-- orchestral, acoustic and electric piano, organ, synth, or something else?

Reaction score
My plans are very basic, just using the roland as a piano, just can t beat the action of the keyboard. Its good to know I can expand to the organ. Always wanted a b3 but don t have the space.I don t have any software now, is there any you could suggest?

Reaction score
Good evening seagtgruff, got my usb interface and installed software on my computer. I am having problems getting it to work. I have no sound and the in and out lights do not work in the interface box. Any ideas, any help is appreciated, thanks. Ray

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Which USB interface did you get, and what software did you install (so I can try to find any documentation for them online)?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Okay, the very first thing to do is make sure you plug the MIDI IN cable of the interface into a MIDI OUT port on the keyboard, and plug the MIDI OUT cable of the interface into the MIDI IN port on the keyboard. It looks like the MKB-1000 has four MIDI OUT ports, if I'm looking at the picture on page 6 of the manual correctly-- the page that says 6 on the bottom, which the PDF document calls page 8. If that's correct, I presume they're parallel ports, such that it doesn't matter which one you use.

EDIT: Regarding the Out-to-In and In-to-Out thing, remember that the OUTPUT of one device becomes the INPUT of the other device, hence keyboard OUT connects to interface IN, and interface OUT connects to keyboard IN.

Last edited:

Ask a Question