Roland (Patches and Parts)

Reaction score
First, I am very new to computer recording but I think I am getting the hang of it. My questions is this:

Is there a way to download the patches and parts of my Roland XP 60 to the corresponding files in my Cakewalk Sonar 7 Profesional program?

Basically, I want to be able to use the sounds that my Roland has within the Sonar program. Right now, the only way I can see how to do this is just directly taking the headphone/output of my keyboard directly into my sound interface and just record it in analog.

I hope this makes some sense.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Reaction score
Hi Spongebillybob, IMO You are doing the whole thing little bit opposite way. If You want to use Roland sound from Sonar, have to send MIDI signal from PC to Roland (basicly it means Sonar has to tell to Roland what he has to play...:) ), taking AUDIO from Roland to PC is the next step - recording. First of all - do You have MIDI out from PC? If yes, no problem. If not, some USB-to-MIDI interface has to come in between. Then connect MIDI-OUT on PC (or on interface) into MIDI-IN to Roland, define the MIDI OUT ports in Sonar, MIDI receiving channels on Roland and it should work. Very roughly said... maybe it helps.

...and don´t forget: sounds from Roland will NOT be in Sonar, they will come out always from Roland...

Reaction score
Taking it a step further, what you really want to do is connect your Roland to your PC in *both* directions *and* run the audio from the Roland into your PC. You'd play the Roland and send MIDI to the PC. Sonar would record the MIDI and send it back to the Roland, which would produce the audio. By recording the MIDI, you can change the sound you use or add effects without having to rerecord the part.

Ask a Question