Roland Piano FP-30 Function Key will not turn on, Can't activate Bluetooth

Reaction score
I have a new Roland FP-30 Keyboard. To turn on Bluetooth press the Function Key and the A0 key at the same time. the Function Key should light up and Bluetooth should be active. The Function key does not light up. I have reset the keys via a youtube video, they reset but this did not fix the problem. this unit has the latest firmware and nothing is plugged into the keyboard. No amplifier, no thumb drive, nothing. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Is it a new keyboard, or is it new to you?

The NAMM Show, Anaheim, CA, January 19, 2016 — Roland (Booth 303A, Level 3) announces the FP-30 Digital Piano,

The keyboard was announced 7 years ago. I'm thinking that you purchased a used keyboard so i'm doubting that it has a warranty ...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Is it a new keyboard, or is it new to you?

The NAMM Show, Anaheim, CA, January 19, 2016 — Roland (Booth 303A, Level 3) announces the FP-30 Digital Piano,

The keyboard was announced 7 years ago. I'm thinking that you purchased a used keyboard so i'm doubting that it has a warranty ...

By Jove Watson!!!

You may have cracked the case :D :D :D

I believe they are still in production... ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Never had that issue when I had an FP-30.

With the updated "X" series of the FP line out now, I'll bet the original poster got "new, old stock" -- but yes, contact the seller and get it returned.

Old No7

Reaction score
I have a new Roland FP-30 Keyboard. To turn on Bluetooth press the Function Key and the A0 key at the same time. the Function Key should light up and Bluetooth should be active. The Function key does not light up. I have reset the keys via a youtube video, they reset but this did not fix the problem. this unit has the latest firmware and nothing is plugged into the keyboard. No amplifier, no thumb drive, nothing. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!!
It may well be futile, but you describe your action as different from the instruction. :)

The manual says: Hold down the [FUNCTION] button and press A0 on the keyboard.
That differs from press the Function Key and the A0 key at the same time.

The "pressed" state of the Function button will cause the pressing of the A0 to be routed to the Set-up circuitry rather than the Play circuitry. Performing a "power chord" may have it interpreted as playing an A0 and incidentally pressing the Function key. Remember: playing a velocity-sensitive keyboard is a matter of milliseconds.

I don't have an FP-30. From experience with other Bluetooth devices, I suggest that otherwise the piano would already be paired to some other (than itself) Bluetooth device. It might then help to unpair it on that other device first.

Reaction score
@controlrod : have you been able to resolve this? I seem to have the same problem now. It definitely worked before, but I now it doesn't light up anymore.

Reaction score
On another forum, I've come across a solution that I tried more out of desparation, because I didn't really think that could be the problem. The device I am using for Roland's Piano Partner app is an iPad OS device:
  • Go to Settings - Piano Partner 2 - switch on Bluetooth
It's odd, I can't explain why this was off because a few years back it definitely worked and I never consciously switched it off.

Then, after this, I was able to pair it and the light on the keyboard would light up blue.

Reaction score
Thanks for your kind answer! :) Actually my phone's piano partner bluetooth setting was on. So it didn't help, but I closed and opened the piano partner app a view times and once it just connected and the blue light turned on... After turning off and on again the piano they didn't see each other again, but my blue light is still visible, so I'm happy that it is not a hardware issue. Somehow these connections with apple devices are not secure... But keep trying!!! :)

Ask a Question