Roland RA-90 Realtime Arranger help on OCTAVE change.

Reaction score
Can anyone who uses a Roland RA-90 tell me how to RAISE by one OCTAVE any of the program VOICES such as ELECTRIC ORGAN1 which is too low and muddled... I am new to the forum and will appreciate anyone's help... Thank you, Franco

Reaction score
Franco

I have owned (and sold or traded-in) many different arranger keyboards through the years, but I have always kept my original RA-50 Real Time Arranger and still use it often - mainly for adding the arranger function to my XP-80 workstation. The only pitch shifting function available on the RA-50 (other than setting its response to incoming pitch bend wheel commands) is the master or global tune function that affects the pitch of all tones simultaneously. It does not provide an "Octave Offset" function for any of the "parts". I strongly suspect that your RA-90 is the same, in this respect.

B U T . . . . .

for the past several years I have used three Casio keyboards, of the new CTK/WK workstation model lines, as well as my trusty old XP-80 work-horse, working into my Roland JV-2080 sound module. Whenever I would use the "Octave Offset" feature of any of the keyboards, the keyboard would send MIDI notes whose pitches were an octave higher or lower, in accordance with the chosen "Octave Offset", and the affected JV-2080 part/sound would respond accordingly. That is, "Octave Offset" is a function of the transmitting keyboard, and not the sound module. You do not say what type of keyboard you are using to drive your RA-90, but check its manual to see if it provides for "Octave Offset" individually on its various parts: full keyboard, upper shift, lower shift, layer. If so, your RA-90 should respond accordingly.

Good luck !

Ted

Last edited:
Reaction score
Franco

I have owned (and sold or traded-in) many different arranger keyboards through the years, but I have always kept my original RA-50 Real Time Arranger and still use it often - mainly for adding the arranger function to my XP-80 workstation. The only pitch shifting function available on the RA-50 (other than setting its response to incoming pitch bend wheel commands) is the master or global tune function that affects the pitch of all tones simultaneously. It does not provide an "Octave Offset" function for any of the "parts". I strongly suspect that your RA-90 is the same, in this respect.

B U T . . . . .

for the past several years I have used three Casio keyboards, of the new CTK/WK workstation model lines, as well as my trusty old XP-80 work-horse, working into my Roland JV-2080 sound module. Whenever I would use the "Octave Offset" feature of any of the keyboards, the keyboard would send MIDI notes whose pitches were an octave higher or lower, in accordance with the chosen "Octave Offset", and the affected JV-2080 part/sound would respond accordingly. That is, "Octave Offset" is a function of the transmitting keyboard, and not the sound module. You do not say what type of keyboard you are using to drive your RA-90, but check its manual to see if it provides for "Octave Offset" individually on its various parts: full keyboard, upper shift, lower shift, layer. If so, your RA-90 should respond accordingly.

Good luck !

Ted
Ted.... thank you very much for your great reply. You confirmed my troubleshooting about not being able to change a SINGLE voice OCTAVE. I bought the RA 90 used and got no manual. Online wasn't much help.i play piano, organ and and accordion... in this case I'm driving the RA90 with an electronic accordian.... thanks again for your thorough reply... Franco

cdl

Reaction score
Ted.... thank you very much for your great reply. You confirmed my troubleshooting about not being able to change a SINGLE voice OCTAVE. I bought the RA 90 used and got no manual. Online wasn't much help.i play piano, organ and and accordion... in this case I'm driving the RA90 with an electronic accordian.... thanks again for your thorough reply... Franco
Hi, how did you set up the Midi RA 90 to make the accompaniments work?

Ask a Question