Roland RD-1000 Midi Issue...

Reaction score
We have an RD-1000 in the studio that has stopped putting out Midi Out signal. We've hooked it up to a Kurweil module and cannot get it's midi signal marker to indicate that it is receiving.

We know the cable is good. We know the module is working and set up correctly as we've already tested other Midi outs from other keyboards to it. We know that the RD-1000 was putting out signal all the way up until a few months ago and no changes had been made in it's set up.

We're trying to determine if something could have happened to the setup in some freaky way or if there is a battery backup that may have an affect inside the RD-1000 or if this is a genuine Midi output issue that needs servicing.

If anyone has some suggestions, that would be helpful.

Thanks.
T

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's the pinout for a MIDI connector.

MIDI-Pinout-MALE-2.png

You could test for the 5V on the output to see if it's blown. If you have access to an oscilloscope you could also check for a signal on the data line.

Here's a circuit for a simple MIDI tester that you could use instead of a scope.

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/miditest.html

miditest.gif

What I'd suggest is to perform a factory reset on the RD-1000, then check the manual to make certain the MIDI Output is turned on and then do your testing.

If it still fails then it's a service issue. It's unlikely a failed battery would do anything other than cause the board to lose its saved settings on power off.

Most modern MIDI gear is built with an optoisolator in the current loop but it is still possible to blow the circuit simply by plugging and unplugging MIDI cables while the circuit is powered up.

That's why every user manual out there recommends you only connect and disconnect cables while the board is powered down.

Gary

Reaction score
Gary,

Thank you for your response.

The RD has been sitting dormant in the studio for quite some time. No cables were plugged or un plugged. We just powered it up and the issue was there where when the last time it was used several,months earlier, it was not.

I forget the factory reset sequence, can you tell me what that was? I will give that a shot for starters.
As for confirming that the MIDI out is turned on afterwards, I believe that it is set to automatically output from the Midi out, unless there is something about the RD that you can tell me that I am unware of, which I imagine is probably much more than I would know at this moment in time. :) Ive been out of the loop for a while.

Thanks again.
T

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Apparently the RD-1000 does have an internal battery that should be replaced every 5 years and it does seem to have an enormous effect on the status of the internal voices.

Definitely contact Roland on how to proceed with this unit. You are supposed to back up your settings and voices to an expansion cartridge before you attempt any service.

Gary

Reaction score
be sure that the roland is outputting on the same midi channel that the Kurzweil module is receiving on.

Ask a Question