Roland RD-300GX

Reaction score
Hello all,

Would just like a bit of info on this model as it was recommended to me in the store and I really like the look, feel and sound of it.

I was just wondering if there are any comparables at a similair price?

What I really like about this one were the excellent organ sounds from it, so an alternative would have to have similair sounds.

I had also looked at the Kurzweil SP2X. I preferred the Roland overall, but any thoughts on the Kurzweil would also be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Reaction score
good action

Hi - I've had this model for a year or so and really like it - had the nicest action of any I've tried.

Do bear in mind it's heavy though (33lb), so as long as you're not planning to go out and about with it you'll be fine (have just made a related post on the subject)

Reaction score
Hi - I've had this model for a year or so and really like it - had the nicest action of any I've tried.

Do bear in mind it's heavy though (33lb), so as long as you're not planning to go out and about with it you'll be fine (have just made a related post on the subject)

edwincoutts - do you have the Roland RD300GX or the 300SX? In your other post, you said you have the SX - which I why I commented that I'm not crazy about the action... on the RD300GX, however, Roland did make some big strides in improvement - its action is not bad. :)

Reaction score
edwincoutts - do you have the Roland RD300GX or the 300SX? In your other post, you said you have the SX - which I why I commented that I'm not crazy about the action... on the RD300GX, however, Roland did make some big strides in improvement - its action is not bad. :)

Really? I think the action on the GX is horrible, much like the FP4. For that price range, I'd go with an FP7 -- decent organ sounds and better action, or a Kawai MP5.

Reaction score
It's a weight issue too though, the FP-7 is 50 pounds or so as opposed to 33. Also since when is 33 pounds heavy? I figure it rather light, I can lift it myself (as opposed to needing help).

Anyway I was at a jazz retreat this weekend where I got to see up close the GX (I'm kicking myself even more now for buying the SX right before it got discontinued... arg). I'd recommend it I think. Organ sounds on the SX were why I bought it, that and the good rhodes and suprisingly decent piano sound.

Also edwin if you say you've had it for a year, you must be talking about the SX as the GX was released earlier this year. Big improvements in the model, more sounds, but most notably the screen is MUCH easier to navigate.

Mostly it depends on your needs. What are your needs? The rd-300gx (if it's in every way an improvement on the sx) is a decent all-around keyboard for relatively cheap... I think...

Reaction score
It's a weight issue too though, the FP-7 is 50 pounds or so as opposed to 33. Also since when is 33 pounds heavy? I figure it rather light, I can lift it myself (as opposed to needing help).

Anyway I was at a jazz retreat this weekend where I got to see up close the GX (I'm kicking myself even more now for buying the SX right before it got discontinued... arg). I'd recommend it I think. Organ sounds on the SX were why I bought it, that and the good rhodes and suprisingly decent piano sound.

Also edwin if you say you've had it for a year, you must be talking about the SX as the GX was released earlier this year. Big improvements in the model, more sounds, but most notably the screen is MUCH easier to navigate.

Mostly it depends on your needs. What are your needs? The rd-300gx (if it's in every way an improvement on the sx) is a decent all-around keyboard for relatively cheap... I think...

True that, 33lbs is on the lighter end of weighted digital pianos. I'm pretty sure the only others that come lighter are the P85 and the Casio Privias.

Roland really improved the sounds on the GX, and the configurability, but the action is still a bit spongey for me. Although action is all personal taste.

I'd go out and try as many keys as you can before making a decision.

Reaction score
I have Yamaha's CP33 which i got a few months ago and i love it. I tried the RD and i didn't like the sound that much, and when it comes to organs... the hammer action keys are NOT made to play organ sounds unless you want to brake your fingers :D

It does weight 38lbs, but hey... it's a stage piano, and it's supposed to be a bit heavier.

Reaction score
When I was in the store trying out the RD-300sx the CP-33 was there and although the action was better on the yamaha, I tend not to like yamaha's sounds as much as Roland's. Personal preference, so try out a few. A lot of people like yamaha, but personally I don't. I don't like their acoustic pianos that much, and since their keyboards are samples of their acoustic pianos (as opposed to steinway, etc.), this is likely why I'm not crazy about them.

Reaction score
When I was in the store trying out the RD-300sx the CP-33 was there and although the action was better on the yamaha, I tend not to like yamaha's sounds as much as Roland's. Personal preference, so try out a few. A lot of people like yamaha, but personally I don't. I don't like their acoustic pianos that much, and since their keyboards are samples of their acoustic pianos (as opposed to steinway, etc.), this is likely why I'm not crazy about them.

Roland and Yamaha (in my opinion) have the best piano sounds out there. The main difference is that Roland's pianos are "dryer" then Yamaha's. I myself love to "dip" the pianos in reverb so that's the reason why i prefer yamaha over Roland

Reaction score
I think all in all the sounds are a matter of opinion, and you need to take into consideration what you will use it for.

I plan on getting a RD-300GX in the next few months, as I have found that it is a widely trusted and used piano, and its good for what I'd need it for (stage piano and home piano). Its also within my budget ($AU2500).

I recommend only getting the 700GX if its is what you need, because the 300GX should satisfy most needs, unless you know otherwise :). I tried out the 700 in store the other day, and if the 300 is only a step down, I wont be disappointed.

Reaction score
Roland and Yamaha (in my opinion) have the best piano sounds out there.

That's a pretty big claim. All the pianos are different. GEM has an awesome piano sound, but are difficult to come by, Kawai's as well have a great piano. To each his own when it comes to sound.

FWIW Roland uses a Steinway sample, Yamaha uses a Yamaha grand sample, Kawai is a Kawai grand sample, etc. So it depends on what kind of sound you want.

I recommend only getting the 700GX if its is what you need, because the 300GX should satisfy most needs, unless you know otherwise :). I tried out the 700 in store the other day, and if the 300 is only a step down, I wont be disappointed.

Their is a pretty big gap between the 700 and 300, both in terms of touch and sound. Among other things, the 300 lacks the piano designer feature of the 700 which lets you customize your own piano sound.

I agree that you should go with what you need, but that needs to take into consideration your sound and touch preferences. I mean, an FP-7 does most basic things stage pianists need, but there's a reason people buy the 700 series pianos.

Reaction score
That's a pretty big claim. All the pianos are different. GEM has an awesome piano sound, but are difficult to come by, Kawai's as well have a great piano. To each his own when it comes to sound.

FWIW Roland uses a Steinway sample, Yamaha uses a Yamaha grand sample, Kawai is a Kawai grand sample, etc. So it depends on what kind of sound you want.

Well, every single word i write down here are my opinions only. I've played Yamaha's, Korg's, Roland's, Kawai's and Privia's pianos. And how ever they all good are, i always go back to yamaha, cause the mellow piano they have is THE best piano i've ever heard (the one on my CP33 is just amazing). And i'm NOT talking about PSR pianos...
I'm talking about the stereo sampled pianos like the ones in the P120, P140, CP33, Motif ES, Motif XS...

Once again... the "taste" of sounds is very subjective term... so once again -> these are only my opinions.

Ask a Question