Roland RD-300NX or Juno DS-88?

Reaction score
HI there! I can't decide between the RD-300NX stage piano or the Juno DS-88. I already have the Integra 7 and I want a new piano for home and gig use. The price difference isn't an issue, but I'm not sure which one I want. I like the synth options of the Juno, but I like the more pianoesque RD300nx. Again, I have the Integra 7, so do I need the features of the Juno?

Reaction score
What I read about the RD 300NX makes it an easy choice. It has nice features, the sound, the keys, etc. It will work for home and gig. Not sure about Juno and Integra 7, what I always try to do is not duplicate features on my devices :) unless both connected gives you something that could not be reached with only one.

Reaction score
I've got a rd300nx and sure wish I had bought a DS-88. The RD is just so limiting for my style, (only 3 zones). That said, the RD's action is great!

Reaction score
I had the DS-88 and did not like it at all. Got it one evening worked with it till 3am That morning when GC opened I took it back. But sound is subjective. For $100 more I bought a used Kurzweil Artis and love it.
Good Luck

scullen

Converts oxygen into carbon dioxide.
Reaction score
I have a DS88 and I like it a lot. It suites my purposes perfectly. It is a good general purpose keyboard that tries to do everything. Some sounds are just OK (organs for example). Synth sounds are great. It has over 1200 patches built-in and you can download over 1000 more.

The RD-300NX is a digital piano. Its specialty is pianos and has other sounds as well. The pianos will sound better than the DS88. Because it is a digital piano, it has speakers. The DS88 does not. The RD-300NX also weighs over 50 pounds, where the DS88 is 35 pounds. The key beds will be identical in feel.

I would think with the integra 7 you would be set for sounds, but you might want another keyboard for your gigging rig. A second keyboard is nice for playing different sets of sounds together without having to split on a single keyboard.

scullen

Converts oxygen into carbon dioxide.
Reaction score
I just noticed this is an old thread with a recent update. I assume the OP made a decision long ago.

Reaction score
Scullen you said “The RD-300NX is a digital piano. Its specialty is pianos and has other sounds as well. The pianos will sound better than the DS88. Because it is a digital piano, it has speakers. The DS88 does not. The RD-300NX also weighs over 50 pounds, where the DS88 is 35 pounds. The key beds will be identical in feel.”
Half of this entire post is not true...
a) RD-300NX does NOT have speakers
b) RD-300NX weighs only 35 lbs 10 oz
c) RD-300NX has 939 tones... way more than just pianos!

Reaction score
Doug, the previous post to yours was in January last year and certainly since I have been here Scullen has not posted so if I were you I would not expect a response from them.

Reaction score
Doesn't DS-88 have only two zones?

Maybe technically yes but there may be a work around.

This is my response on a similar topic.
With my Korg Kross 2 if I create a Combination of instrument sounds I can set up the range within the keybed where each individual sound is active.

I can save the Combi as Korg calls it to a User bank and call it up as required.

So whilst it is not a series of splits the effect is the same for that specific Combi.

Maybe you can do something similar with your Juno.

Reaction score
With my Korg Kross 2 if I create a Combination of instrument sounds I can set up the range within the keybed where each individual sound is active.
I can save the Combi as Korg calls it to a User bank and call it up as required.
So whilst it is not a series of splits the effect is the same for that specific Combi.
Maybe you can do something similar with your Juno.
AFAIK, you can't. That's the downside of Roland and Yamaha light performance keyboards. Dual or plain split is all they let you have for this relatively small amount of money. Thank God there's Korg who lets you have up to 8 sounds in one Combi, layered or mapped on your keyboard as you please.
I think my next keyboard will be Korg Cross.

Reaction score
AFAIK, you can't. That's the downside of Roland and Yamaha light performance keyboards. Dual or plain split is all they let you have for this relatively small amount of money. Thank God there's Korg who lets you have up to 8 sounds in one Combi, layered or mapped on your keyboard as you please.
I think my next keyboard will be Korg Cross.
Juno DS lets you create Performances (equiv to Korg Combis) with up to 16 sounds split/layered across the keyboard, any way you'd like.

Reaction score
Juno DS lets you create Performances (equiv to Korg Combis) with up to 16 sounds split/layered across the keyboard, any way you'd like.
Wow that is cool. Roland did it at least... I've been looking in the manual for this feature, but eventually not deep enough.
Thank you for this useful information. Previous digital JUNOs (and even digital RSs) allowed you to create 16-part performances, but each part was in fact an usual patch with usual dual/single point split possibilities.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

I presume you are referring to the Superlayer Performances you can set up?

Are you sure you can set arbitrary split points for each voice/layer?

I own a DS61 and I am going to try and verify that tomorrow.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I presume you are referring to the Superlayer Performances you can set up?
No, 16-part mode. (Superlayer is for playing multiple instances of the same sound; in this case we want to play all different sounds.)

Are you sure you can set arbitrary split points for each voice/layer?
Yes. When you edit a 16-part Performance, you'll see you can specify up to 16 sounds, each with its own key range (upper and lower limits). Be sure to set the KBD setting to ON for each sound you want to play from the keyboard.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Now I see what you were talking about. You have to access it from the Menu Button and then edit the Performance.

Thanks for the heads up.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
That is correct. I actually took time to create a couple of “performances” on the DS88 in Guitar Center. But, I think I’ve decided to sell my RD300NX and buy a FA-08 or FA-07 to replace my FantomS and/or my FantomS88...

Reaction score
When you edit a 16-part Performance, you'll see you can specify up to 16 sounds, each with its own key range (upper and lower limits).
Does this mean that you have to activate more then one part of performance simultaneously to be able to use, say, 3 instruments layed on 3 parts of the keyboard?

Ask a Question