Roland RD-300nx OR Yamaha CP50

Reaction score
Hello all. Im looking for a solid keyboard used mainly for live performances. Looking for great pianos, organs, strings, pads, and lead synths mainly. I also use splits and layers. I've narrowed it down to the Roland RD-300nx and the Yamaha CP50. What do you guys think i should go for?

Other recommendations are also more than welcome!

Thanks

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Have you narrowed it down by budget or just like the sound/feel of those two?

Well budget wise i wouldnt like to go too much over these two. I had a go of the roland today, and read some good reviews on the Yamaha when i got home. Ive not got a huge knowledge on keyboard brands etc, so suggestions are welcome. I just want a solid workhorse of a keyboard for live performances.

Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
I'd go for the Roland but I'd be very happy to gig with either.

What about a Casio PX-3 paired with their new XW-P1. You'd have a backup.

Reaction score
I'd go for the Roland but I'd be very happy to gig with either.

What about a Casio PX-3 paired with their new XW-P1. You'd have a backup.

The PX-3 seems pretty nice for the price actually, good shout. Ideally id rather have the one keyboard to cover all duties. I dont enjoy lifting and setting up gear so trying to keep it as minimal as possible

Reaction score
I've played on both and prefer the Roland. For high end stage pianos, I prefer Yamaha. At this price range, I think Roland is better.

Reaction score
Hello all. Im looking for a solid keyboard used mainly for live performances. Looking for great pianos, organs, strings, pads, and lead synths mainly. I also use splits and layers. I've narrowed it down to the Roland RD-300nx and the Yamaha CP50. What do you guys think i should go for?

Other recommendations are also more than welcome!

Thanks

Reaction score
I went with the CP50. I really love the feel of it. The learning curve can be a bit frustrating, but, once you spend some time with it, it starts to makes sense. There is a connection between the keys and the patch that you're playing that you just don't find on the Roland. I have a RD300sx and needed to get a Motif rack because the Roland just didn"t cut through the mix. The Rhodes on the CP50 has a personality that is different from any that I've found. I had a Rhodes in the '80's, and this sounds JUST like it. I really love playing it...

Reaction score
Having played both, personally I'd take a Roland A90 EX.

But that's just me throwing the cat amongst the pigeons :)

Ask a Question