Roland RD-800 vs. Kurzweil Artis

Reaction score
I have always played Roland keyboards and currently have the RD-700 SX. I am thinking of upgrading to the RD-800 but the Kurzweil Artis is also a possibility. I have never played a Kurzweil, and the music stores in the area do to have one on the floor to try.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

Reaction score
My thoughts ........

Kurzweil Forte. The last k/b you'll ever need. Worth every penny. The piano is astounding.

Reaction score
Hi. I just went through this process and looked hard at the RD 800 (disclaimer: I've played many Rolands, some for a while, liked them a lot, but never actually owned one). Spent at least 9 months looking around and playing whatever I could find. It came down to the Roland, Artis, and Artis SE (more portable ). I preferred the Kurzweil, soundwise, as well as how things were so quickly and easily accessible for performance. The pianos and organs were simply phenomenal. What was holding me back was the action, which I liked better on the Roland. Both Artis keyboards used the TP 100, which I found a bit laggy on the return. This was an issue, especially for organ. I bit the bullet recently and found a really good deal on a Forte: different action and we'll worth it, if you can make that bump up in price. I'm primary using it as solo board for gigging, not as a workstation but, man, I don't think I've come across anything better. It's so versitle, sounds so good, and so well made for live playing that it's worth the investment for me. I know that it's frustrating to try to find any Kurzweil to try I out. Where are you located? While you probably won't find one at a GC or places like that, some places do stock them. One compromise option, if you already like the sound, is to find another brand that uses the TP 100 so you can try out the action. Some people here gave me that advice and it helped a lot.

All great keyboards, so you really can't go wrong. Good luck!

Ask a Question