Roland RD170 or Juno D

Reaction score
Roland RD170 secondhand or Roland Juno D
Hi Everyone

I currently have a home set up with pc and Roland UA25EX soundcard. I am starting keyboards for the first time and looked at getting a Yamaha NP30 then saw that Cakewalk A-800 which looks really cool. I was seriously thinking of getting that to use with my Cubase 3 and then saw a Roland Juno D going for the same money brand new. Got my wallet out to pay for it and my mate then told me of someone he knew who had a Roland RD170 in mint condition 4 years old. I am going round in circles here as they are all going for the same money. Should I consider the old RD170 or the Juno D or anything else. Many thanks Geoff

Reaction score
Cost

Roland RD170 going for 350 pounds, Roland Juno D limited edition going for 300 pounds. Cakewalk A-800 pro going for 230 pounds.

Any Help Appreciated.

Geoff

Reaction score
Roland RD170 going for 350 pounds, Roland Juno D limited edition going for 300 pounds. Cakewalk A-800 pro going for 230 pounds.

Any Help Appreciated.

Reaction score
If you are going to be playing two handed keyboard stuff - the RD but 350 may be right at the max of what it's worth.

I think the Juno D Limited edition has a great range of sounds - just a standard 5 octave keyboard though.

If you are triggering sounds in your PC (VST) - absolutely anythingwith a midi out will do if your sound card takes a midi cable. Pick up some used yamaha or casio thing from cash converters or Gumtree - £30 - £50 will do it. Borrow one that isn't being used from family or friends.

I'd buy the RD - but might haggle a bit at £350.

Get a teacher or a keyboard playing mate to help you on your way. Save you loads of set-up time. Starting out can be frustrating - getting everything set-up and working - and then making your fingers play what you want.

Good luck.

Ask a Question