Roland RD300NX weak piano sounds

Reaction score
Hi all, just bought my first stage piano, the Roland RD300NX, and the piano sounds are really weak.
It just sounds hollow and dull. I've tried adding the Soundfocus, the compressor and even EQing it - I've messed around with the tone edits to adjust lid height, hammer sound and all those other settings - but it just sounds like a really weak piano.

Is there something I'm missing, or do all the Roland RD300NX's sound the same? Do I have to download new firmware to the keyboard or fully reset the settings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
What amplification are you playing the RD300NX through, or said another way, when you say it "sounds" hollow and dull, what is your sound source, headphones? a keyboard amp? Monitors? What's the make and model of the sound source?

Reaction score
Welcome.

2.04 is the latest software version but none of the updates since new (ie since c2011 when the unit was released) have addressed Tones.

Pages 47 onwards in the Manual show what parameters can be adjusted although this depends upon the specific Tone. Try adjusting the Resonance.

Reaction score
What amplification are you playing the RD300NX through, or said another way, when you say it "sounds" hollow and dull, what is your sound source, headphones? a keyboard amp? Monitors? What's the make and model of the sound source?
Good question - I've tried running through various high quality headphones, using near-field audio monitors, and two types of PA (Line 6 and another brand). It's definitely not the output devices, it's the sounds in the module - other tones such as electric piano and synths etc do sound clear and punchy.

Reaction score
Welcome.

2.04 is the latest software version but none of the updates since new (ie since c2011 when the unit was released) have addressed Tones.

Pages 47 onwards in the Manual show what parameters can be adjusted although this depends upon the specific Tone. Try adjusting the Resonance.
Thanks yes I've updated the software already but nothing changed, as you pointed out. Have gone through the manual cover to cover and adjusted every setting on the tones I could find. I have a funny feeling this is just what the keyboard's piano modules sound like.

Reaction score
What are you comparing the piano sounds to?

The piano sounds in the RD are Roland’s SuperNatural which do sound OK but not as good as a Yamaha.

I have played some Roland’s in the last month ie FP30 and an FA08 which also have the Supernatural Sound engine and the Piano sounds were OK and certainly better than Korg’s and Casio’s offerings.

Maybe if you added some Reverb and a little Chorus that would liven up the sound?

Ask a Question