Roland RD700Sx to Ketron SD2 module.

Reaction score
I just bought a new Ketron SD2 sound module this week to add to my Roland RD700SX stage piano.I use it at home.I have a Roland KC350amp,a Tascam DP03 8 track digital recorder.

I have connected up the SD2 to the piano with one midi cable connected to midi in on the SD2,that connects to the piano via midi out.I also added an RCA lead from L&R on the back of the SD2 to the amp.I wasnt familiar with that one.The SD2 doesnt have a midi out it only has a midi in and a midi thru.

The next step is getting the piano to play the sounds.I bring up the external zone on the screen just as its shown in the 1st diagram on page 61 of the Roland Rd700SX handbook:
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=RD-700SX
There are 3 chapters on midi to piano in the book.
From this point on the book doesnt make sense.

Here's the Ketron Handbook download:

http://www.ketron.com/pdf/SD2 Manual English.pdf

The LED light on the SD2 does work.When I press the buttons on the piano to change sounds the LED light flickers accordingly.I've only got 1 piano sound working.
yes,the volume on the piano is turned off and the volume on the SD2 is turned up.I need to get the piano to play the sounds.

I've contacted the shop I bought the module from.They are looking into it.I've contacted Roland.They were on the wrong direction.So here I am.I havent found any youtube video and I havent found any website that can offer instructions.

Is anyone here familiar with the RD700 series piano AND connecting a sound module? Could really use some help here.Thanks.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'll assume that you have MIDI OUT enabled on your Roland. Otherwise it should simply work as soon as you hook it up and hit a key with default settings.

From what I've seen about the Ketron SD2 on Amazon reviews and other comments on the web, it seems to be a pretty crappy module with a couple of people mentioning DOA and "unable to get it to work from the get go."

My advice would be to return it for a full refund if you can and get something a little better like a Waldorf Blofeld or a used Yamaha Motif Rack or a used Triton Rack for close to the same money.

Gary

Reaction score
I'll assume that you have MIDI OUT enabled on your Roland. Otherwise it should simply work as soon as you hook it up and hit a key with default settings.

From what I've seen about the Ketron SD2 on Amazon reviews and other comments on the web, it seems to be a pretty crappy module with a couple of people mentioning DOA and "unable to get it to work from the get go."

My advice would be to return it for a full refund if you can and get something a little better like a Waldorf Blofeld or a used Yamaha Motif Rack or a used Triton Rack for close to the same money.

Gary

Reaction score
Hi Gary.

Yes,the piano does have midi out.The module is connected up from Midi in to the piano midi out.

Its more the problem with the Roland.The process to get the module and piano working together.

The module isnt the problem.I think there's a lot of confusion over the Ketron modules.One forum says it needs an ipad or computer connected while others say its a straight out module connection to piano.And without the need of an ipad etc.

I had a new Kawai back in 2004,just a digital piano.Bought a new Yamaha MU100 module.Plug and played without fuss.I upgraded when the new Roland RD700sx hit the market.I wanted out of basic digitals and get a stage piano.

Going on by the Roland handbook there's a lot of confusion.I've got Roland themselves stumped on this.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, for troubleshooting this start off by setting all the zones to MIDIout 1 and connecting the Ketron to MIDIout 1 as well. At this point if you hear nothing it is a hardware problem.

To narrow it down try swapping cables in case it's a bad cable.

If still no go, then try controlling a different piece of MIDI hardware with the Roland, ie. another module or keyboard. Maybe haul it into the Music store and ask if they'll let you test it.

Alternatively, take the ketron to the Music store and ask them to test it with a different controller and cable just to make sure it's not the module.

Once you've narrowed this down we'll see about selecting patches and bank select method. Everything you need to know about using the Roland as an external controller is listed on pages 61-64. You can ignore the rest until you want to get fancy. For now study those three pages and try some of the stuff I've outlined to see if you can get it to play and select patches OK.

Gary

Reaction score
I just bought a new Ketron SD2 sound module this week to add to my Roland RD700SX stage piano.I use it at home.I have a Roland KC350amp,a Tascam DP03 8 track digital recorder.

I have connected up the SD2 to the piano with one midi cable connected to midi in on the SD2,that connects to the piano via midi out.I also added an RCA lead from L&R on the back of the SD2 to the amp.I wasnt familiar with that one.The SD2 doesnt have a midi out it only has a midi in and a midi thru.

The next step is getting the piano to play the sounds.I bring up the external zone on the screen just as its shown in the 1st diagram on page 61 of the Roland Rd700SX handbook:
http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=RD-700SX
There are 3 chapters on midi to piano in the book.
From this point on the book doesnt make sense.

Here's the Ketron Handbook download:

http://www.ketron.com/pdf/SD2 Manual English.pdf

The LED light on the SD2 does work.When I press the buttons on the piano to change sounds the LED light flickers accordingly.I've only got 1 piano sound working.
yes,the volume on the piano is turned off and the volume on the SD2 is turned up.I need to get the piano to play the sounds.

I've contacted the shop I bought the module from.They are looking into it.I've contacted Roland.They were on the wrong direction.So here I am.I havent found any youtube video and I havent found any website that can offer instructions.

Is anyone here familiar with the RD700 series piano AND connecting a sound module? Could really use some help here.Thanks.

Update to my post:
I now have this module set up and working.It sounds great.Thank you to everyone for your help.

Ask a Question