Roland Rp 401r sound issue

Reaction score
so recently i purchased a Roland rp 401r and its been working great! however, today i sat down and plugged in the headphones and played for a little while and when i decided i wanted to play out loud i unplugged the headphones, and to my surprise i had no sound coming out of the built in speakers.

I spoke with Roland and they recommended that i speak with a local tech since it was under warranty but i was wondering if anyone else come across this issue, or does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be?

I find it really odd that a relatively expensive piece of equipment can be this easily messed up!
ps: I baby this piano. (i did not jerk the headphones out)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Just to eliminate "the usual suspect," do your headphones have a 1/8" (3.5mm or "mini") plug, does the keyboard have a 1/4" (6.3mm) jack, and did you need to plug the headphones into a 3.5mm-female-to-6.3mm-male adapter and then plug the adapter into the keyboard? If yes, did you remember to remove the adapter from the jack on the keyboard when you unplugged the headphones? Leaving the adapter plugged in will make the keyboard think you've still got headphones plugged in, thus cutting off the sound to the speakers.

Reaction score
ive attached a picture of the headphone ports. my headphones do not use an adapter currently. roland had me check this thing like crazy to make sure there was nothing in it. (atleast i think its clear)

i purchased the piano only 3ish months ago, so i feel like its probably a simple fix. Roland also had me do a factory reset on it.

although they thought using a compressed air can might not be a bad idea?
0518171608b_resized (1).jpg

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
So it has two jacks, one for a 6.3mm plug and another for a 3.5mm plug? That's handy!

I've heard of the compressed air suggestion before. Sometimes dust bunnies or whatnot can get stuck inside a jack and be a problem, and blasting the inside of a jack with compressed air might be able to dislodge and remove the offending bunny.

Hopefully it's something simple like that and you'll be able to fix it yourself without having to take it to a shop. But if you do have to take it to a shop, hopefully they'll either just swap it for a new one or get it fixed for you toot sweet.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I've heard of the compressed air suggestion before.

Doesn't Radio Shack -- does Radio Shack still exist? -- sell compressed air in a can? Looks like a can of hairspray or spray paint, but is just air. Wasn't very expensive, either. (Assuming my memory is still functioning properly.)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I don't know if Radio Shack's doors are still open, but you should be able to buy cans of compressed air at just about any office supplies store-- Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, etc. They're very handy for blasting dust bunnies out of your computer keyboard, or opening up your computer's case and blasting them out of there. The cans usually have a thin red "straw" taped to the side, which you stick on the air nozzle so you can direct the blast of air-- which should be very handy for blasting anything out of an audio jack.

Reaction score
yah i grabbed a can at the local bestbuy and tried it. Still no sound. I cant imagine the piano would have a major defect this early into its lifecycle, but maybe?

i have an appointment with a local technician in june(the only local one is backed up 4 weeks) if i cannot get it to work myself.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If it's under warranty then don't screw around with DIY repairs.

Just send it to the tech and he'll replace the jack(s).

They have an internal switch that switches off the speakers when a headphone is plugged in.

That switch has failed.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
so recently i purchased a Roland rp 401r and its been working great! however, today i sat down and plugged in the headphones and played for a little while and when i decided i wanted to play out loud i unplugged the headphones, and to my surprise i had no sound coming out of the built in speakers.

I spoke with Roland and they recommended that i speak with a local tech since it was under warranty but i was wondering if anyone else come across this issue, or does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be?

I find it really odd that a relatively expensive piece of equipment can be this easily messed up!

Hey I just got this piano too around Christmas and I have the same problem and I was wondering if yours has been fixed and what you did to fix it. Thanks!

Reaction score
Dami

I would not waste your time asking the Op for an answer.

The only posts they have made are those related to the problem.

The post does go back a few months

With your problem, its still under warranty, suggest you contact product support at Roland or depending upon consumer rights where you live I would return it.

Ask a Question